Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce, I’m curious - what made you think of that particular thread after all this time?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at that show, and after the revelation that the Walton coin was genuine talked with the ANA Museum Curator, a former colleague, and made arrangements to view them in the Security Room as he was dismantling the exhibit. I got to play with all five in the palm of my hand (in KoinTains, of course) for five minutes before handing them back to the Curator.
    I don’t know why anybody ever questioned it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earmarked for another day. Thank you!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a hoot and a good time both when I got to interview Ryan Givens for the Heritage auction offering. I quoted him just as he spoke, because he was a character and I think it gave the true flavor of who he was and how he thought. He went out of his way to try to again dispel a couple of the myths that surrounded the story of George Walton's car crash and death. And I thought the Heritage team (of which I was then a part) and the various outside contributors did a smashing job with their stories as well. It must have been an electrifying moment when the various numismatists gathered at the 2003 ANA realized that the fifth "missing" Walton specimen was indeed real, and at the same show with the other four.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read! Thanks for the link.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the convention and remember seeing the 5 nickels when they were on display.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

I don't know how I missed the thread.

...just spellbinding.

I'd have never guessed Laura Sperber was old enough to be a principle.

There are many interesting lessons and morals in the story.

Tempus fugit.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read the story and nobody should ever have a question about the 1913s again.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

You mean other than why they exist?

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Bruce, I’m curious - what made you think of that particular thread after all this time?

My daughter texted me yesterday and said ‘what was the famous nickel that you owned? One was just on the tv here’. I told her and googled to send her an article on it and this thread came up. I found reading it very interesting as I was there at the show for the display and at that time owned the Hawaii 5-0 specimen. I later owned the eliasberg specimen two separate times.

• Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

I can think of several reasons why they exist. I'll share mine after others take a crack at the answer. Perhaps you'll be the first to offer an opinion? :)

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@MFeld said:

My daughter texted me yesterday and said ‘what was the famous nickel that you owned? One was just on the tv here’. I told her and googled to send her an article on it and this thread came up. I found reading it very interesting as I was there at the show for the display and at that time owned the Hawaii 5-0 specimen. I later owned the eliasberg specimen two separate times.

Thanks, Bruce!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you getting the itch to buy another one? Or that was that and moved on to other parts of the hobby?

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

I can think of several reasons why they exist. I'll share mine after others take a crack at the answer. Perhaps you'll be the first to offer an opinion? :)

It is interesting that (per part of the linked story) the coins were struck with proof dies on regular planchets. Like if whoever made them tried to get burnished proof planchets they might get “caught”

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed the history. Some I already knew, some new info. Overall a great refresher.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

You, or I, can speculate. It is, however, unknown. So the question will always exist.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting that Stack's often get the sole blame for condemning the Walton 1913, but as noted:

"Unfortunately, later in 1962 the famous Walton 1913 Liberty nickel would be returned from Stack's, which had consulted with unidentified "authenticators" at the ANS who pronounced the coin a counterfeit -- incorrectly, as it turned out much later, in 2003".

It would be nice to know how that conclusion was arrived at though probably will never be known. Guessing that it was not compared with a verified example.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

When an obverse die and a reverse die love each other very much they come together in a special way that results in a coin being born!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe also add in someone connected with the Mint who also loves money very much.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file