Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are these truly PVC free?

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 7, 2024 3:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I stored a few coins in them about a year ago but then saw they are made in China. Then transferred those coins into cardboard 2 by 2 Mylar coin holders.

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do not smell of anything at all.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2024 3:13PM

Just about everything is made in China these days.

All you can do is go by the label. They use three different terms to say they are safe, so that's good enough for me.

But, then again, I probably wouldn't be storing coins in card sleeves.

edited June 7, 2024 3:19PM

@JBK said:
    Just about everything is made in China these days.

All you can do is go by the label. They use three different terms to say they are safe, so that's good enough for me.

But, then again, I probably wouldn't be storing coins in card sleeves.

I do not usually store coins in such sleeves just forgot to transfer them into Mylar cardboard holders (purchased them afterwards but forgot about this single package) once I received them. I just figured they were safe.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polypropylene is not poly vinyl chloride.

If you are asking if the label is lying, how would we know?

edited June 7, 2024 3:30PM

Ah well I just put them in acetone just to be 100% sure will do them 1-2 hours then turn them around in fresh acetone and that will be that end of questioning. If they were made in the USA or Canada I would trust the label 100%. Like I said the plastic sleeves smell of no odour at all.

Made in China always makes me doubt things.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t put anything made in China in my body (knowingly). Nor do I put valuable coins in anything made in China.

That said, pure polypropylene is safe. But given that Chinese companies make their profit by skimping on quality, who knows the actual purity of these things.

If you care about your coins, use tried and true Saflips and nothing else.

https://youtu.be/H2Bk5O6yzT0

edited June 7, 2024 7:33PM

I have these also I imagine these are OK? Can I use a staple on these so the coin stays in? I purchased them off eBay a while back forgot I had them till today when going threw my stuff.

Made in China as well.

edited June 7, 2024 7:22PM

Seems like these are also made in China geez. In the garbage they go.

edited June 7, 2024 7:15PM

@pruebas said:
    I don’t put anything made in China in my body (knowingly). Nor do I put valuable coins in anything made in China.

That said, pure polypropylene is safe. But given that Chinese companies make their profit by skimping on quality, who knows the actual purity of these things.

If you care about your coins, use tried and true Saflips and nothing else.

So these Pruebas:

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously?

edited June 7, 2024 7:19PM

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yes hence my question and post.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

edited June 7, 2024 7:26PM

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

I am learning this evening from now on anything coin related made in China I will no longer be using that may contain PVC even if the package says otherwise. I will buy the ones Pruebas suggested they are made in the USA.

I care about my coins and protecting them for the next generations to enjoy.

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

I am learning this evening from now on anything coin related made in China I will no longer be using that may contain PVC even if the package says otherwise. I will buy the ones Pruebas suggested they are made in the USA.

I think the xenophobia is misplaced.

How do you know that your "made in the USA" items aren't made of Chinese manufactured raw materials?

edited June 7, 2024 7:48PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

How do you know that your "made in the USA" items aren't made of Chinese manufactured raw materials?

I do not but I have to draw the line somewhere and this is were I draw it. I will go with made in the USA vs China. I will take my chances I trust Pruebas judgment and go with the ones he suggested.

edited June 7, 2024 7:50PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

And what do you use for raw coins in your collection? Made in China or made in the USA?

edited June 7, 2024 7:50PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

And what do you use for raw coins in your collection?

Mylar 2x2's or mylar flips. The 2x2s are all made in the USA. the mylar 2x2s aren't.

But it's quite possible that the mylar 2x2's are made with mylar sheets from China.

edited June 7, 2024 7:55PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

Mylar 2x2's or mylar flips. The 2x2s are all made in the USA. the mylar 2x2s aren't.

But it's quite possible that the mylar 2x2's are made with mylar sheets from China.

Well I do not see anyone ever for that matter complaining their coins got PVC from Mylar 2 by 2's on the boards. So I will trust that long term experience. Pruebas has been collecting coins for decades so I trust that as well.

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

Well I do not see anyone ever for that matter complaining their coins got PVC from Mylar 2 by 2's on the boards. So I will trust that long term experience. Pruebas has been collecting coins for decades so I trust that as well.

You're missing the point. No one ever got PVC from polypropylene either. But people are complaining that "Chinese" polypropylene could have PVC contamination. Why, then, can't "Chinese" mylar? Or "USA" mylar? It's just bigotry.

edited June 8, 2024 10:39AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@IkesT said:
    Seriously?

Yikes!

You're missing the point. No one ever got PVC from polypropylene either. But people are complaining that "Chinese" polypropylene could have PVC contamination. Why, then, can't "Chinese" mylar? Or "USA" mylar? It's just bigotry.

I am not a Bigot stop trowing that word out there. Playing the label game (Bigot in this case) does not change the fact I have concerns based on the fact that many things made in China have issues vs those made in the USA or say Canada it is just based on long term observations. If they had a long track record of making excellent product say like Germany I would not be having this conversation. They did this to themselves over years and years of making lower quality product vs other countries that made better quality items. It is been a smart consumer to buy the best out there and looking into the products we want to buy.

You can buy their products go right ahead be my guest. I will stick with other options that are better when possible. I purchased China made coin product in the past so how can I be a Bigot just because I now think there is better quality options out there for coin storage.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are people on this forum who would benefit from going on an extended tour of factories in China. The “everything made in China is crap” mantra would end immediately.

Smitten with DBLCs.

@Aotearoa said:
    There are people on this forum who would benefit from going on an extended tour of factories in China. The “everything made in China is crap” mantra would end immediately.

Facts don't sway people anymore.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search for PVC Flame test, and sacrifice one as the gold standard proof.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aotearoa said:

Facts don't sway people anymore.

If these are the facts I will look into it I will not refuse facts I just want to find my best option is all.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used safe flips for a few years then switched to Guardhouse because they’re thicker and offer better protection. The safe flips are kind of flimsy.

@Coinscratch said:
    I used safe flips for a few years then switched to Guardhouse because they’re thicker and offer better protection. The safe flips are kind of flimsy.

I may try these I prefer flips that are not flimsy. Thanks for sharing.

edited June 8, 2024 5:56PM

@Coinscratch said:

But they're made from vinyl. I think you're going backwards. ;)

I don't see "archival" or "acid-free" anywhere on the label. They do have another flip that specifically says "archival" and "no pvc".

I was not able to find information on where these are made, but Guardhouse cardboard and mylar 2x2s are made in.....China. :)

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

At this point I am about to just stay with 2 by 2 Mylar cardboard. This is giving me a headache.

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

I don't see "archival" or "acid-free" anywhere on the label. They do have another flip that specifically says "archival" and "no pvc".

I was not able to find information on where these are made, but Guardhouse cardboard and mylar 2x2s are made in.....China. :)

Well, it does say trusted by numismatic professionals worldwide I mean, if that’s not good enough what the hell is!

edited June 8, 2024 6:21PM

By the way, for those who say Chinese made products are crap, and for those who say that is not true, I believe you are both correct.

After WWII and well into the 70s, people thought "Made in Japan" meant low quality. That wasn't entirely incorrect, but the reason was misunderstood. The Japanese factories were turning out products that met the customers' specifications. Many businesses went to Japan to have things manufactured because costs were so cheap. If they wanted cheap products then the Japanese accommodated them, but the Japanese were certainly capable of producing quality products.

The same goes for China. There is the occassional story about a rogue factory producing unauthorized or counterfeit or substandard products (I'd never buy pet food from there, for example), but they can and do produce quality products when the contracts stipulate that.

They often don't respect US copyrights or patents, but that's another story.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

At this point I am about to just stay with 2 by 2 Mylar cardboard. This is giving me a headache.

If you use the 2X2 cardboard staple holders, be sure to use a clean cotton cloth to wipe the cardboard dust off of the inside windows to prevent spotting on your coins. Also, be sure to flatten the staples with a pair of pliers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@Coinscratch said:

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

Well, it does say trusted by numismatic professionals worldwide I mean, if that’s not good enough what the hell is!

I'm not saying they're not good, but personally I'd prefer Mylar (or equivalent).

The Guardhouse flips shown say they are made from "unplasticized vinyl", with the abbreviation being "uPVC". That's too close to PVC for me. :)

Guardhouse also makes flips that do not contain uPVC.

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

I'm not saying they're not good, but personally I'd prefer Mylar (or equivalent).

The Guardhouse flips shown say they are made from "unplasticized vinyl", with the abbreviation being "uPVC". That's too close to PVC for me. :)

Guardhouse also makes flips that do not contain uPVC.

Thanks I’ll have to check those out next time but typically my coins only stay in those flips a month or two and then long enough to get to Newport Beach.

edited June 9, 2024 4:01AM

@JBK said:

@Coinscratch said:

It is the plasticizer that causes the breakdown and the etching problem.

But I do find this funny.

edited June 9, 2024 9:59AM

I made my choice going with what Pruebas suggested and placed my order today. These are what I feel comfortable with and that is my choice as a consumer:

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most products made in China are as good or better than products made elsewhere. IMO most Chinese products and the people who make them are great. I usually try to avoid products made there because their government is terrible IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file