Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cool Circulation Find: Rotated Die!

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that this may be less than appealing to some of you, but a few days ago I found this 2005-P buffalo reverse nickel that has the dies rotated. I have never found anything like this before, so any knowledge of its value would be appreciated. Sorry for bad pics.

Also please post any rotated die coins that you own.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

Tagged:

Comments

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool coins! But, not being a Seated guy, I had to hunt a little bit. I do see differences in the clashing - but I also see one clash that looks like it's the same on both coins - the inverted top of the A on the upper right of the shield. (?) So - if some clashes are the same and others (like the wild clashing on Liberty's right leg) are different - does that mean that the clashes are cumulative, and the later state ones will all have the crazy group of clashes? (Barring a lapping on the dies, I guess...)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• goldengolden Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool nickel.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2024 6:53PM

Normal:

Rotated:

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another one.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• epcepc Posts: 215 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2024 9:20PM

@Bikergeek said:
    Those are cool coins! But, not being a Seated guy, I had to hunt a little bit. I do see differences in the clashing - but I also see one clash that looks like it's the same on both coins - the inverted top of the A on the upper right of the shield. (?) So - if some clashes are the same and others (like the wild clashing on Liberty's right leg) are different - does that mean that the clashes are cumulative, and the later state ones will all have the crazy group of clashes? (Barring a lapping on the dies, I guess...)

In this particular case, I think there's not much, if any, additional clashing between the second coin and the first. But lapping has cleaned it up a bit: The marks in the field next to Liberty's leg and by her wrist above the shield are gone in the 1st pictured coin. And note that lapping has also weakened the pole and parts of the gown. But most of the denomination clash remains, including the A in the shield that you mentioned.

But there are cases of multiple clashes. I've got several with multiple clashes slightly offset, and other coins with two or three clashes at different rotations. I posted about one such coin recently: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1099899/1858-o-v-9-half-dime-a-couple-new-die-states
    Pics from that post:

On the reverse, note the two distinct clashes from the base of the rock, at very different rotations. One is at near normal orientation, and the other, more obvious one is about 55 degrees different. I'd like to find an example struck with that 55 degree rotation!

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Traditionally there was a 15 degree tolerance in either direction so far as the Mint was concerned. Collectors generally want 45 degrees or more

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dentuck said:

Here’s one I found 35 years ago.

I've looked for these for a long time and never found one.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file