Home U.S. Coin Forum

Off-Metal 1854 2½ Dollar Liberty

Hello, I just recently purchased a large group of shield and liberty nickels, after I started sorting them I came across this piece. It has the design of an 1854 2½ Dollar gold piece, but its not made of gold. I right now suspect that it may be a contemporary counterfeit, but also the thought that it way be a pattern or die trial has popped through my mind. I am currently looking for just a solid opinion on what it is. I am also wondering why on earth it was worn down so much.
Now down to the specifics, I weighed it and quickly scanned it with the XRF gun, here are the results:

Weight: 2.67g
Diameter: 18.0mm

Metal Content
Copper: 63.49%
Zinc: 22.12%
Nickel: 14.38%

Note: The edge is reeded, and upon comparing it to a known genuine piece I have noted that the spacing is the same.

All opinions and comments apricated! :)

Member of Early American Coppers (EAC), American Numismatic Association (ANA), and Missouri Numismatic Society (MNS). Specializing in early American copper by die variety.

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also assuming a contemporary counterfeit, but it sure isn't a common one!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly looks like a contemporary counterfeit to me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse start between 12:00 and 2:00 confirm for me its bogus status (coupled with everything else). I'd imagine it is a somewhat valuable piece with the right collectors.

peacockcoins

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

The level of wear evident is just as surprising as the piece itself.

All glory is fleeting.
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the new off metal is any classic coin not in its proper alloy, good to know says the newbie know it all with 14 posts, do we have to suffer through this crap again, it seems to never end

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess contemporary counterfeit too. The amount of wear on the coin is very interesting though.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really interesting!

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit, someone's pocket piece my best guess. Interesting.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    I guess the new off metal is any classic coin not in its proper alloy, good to know says the newbie know it all with 14 posts, do we have to suffer through this crap again, it seems to never end

Please offer your opinion of the coin.

Larry

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting piece. That amount of wear is very interesting. It would take a long time to wear down that much as a pocket piece.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool contemporary counterfeit.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real or not, I sure wish it had an S mintmark!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

Way out of my playing field but i cannot find anything about an off metal 2 1/2 d coin in my Breen Encyclopedia. James

@ldhair said:

@RobertScotLover said:

Please offer your opinion of the coin.

Maybe I jumped the shark, and thus my apologies to the op, due to so many bogus trolls popping up so frequently these days and I consequently I inadvertently thought it was occurring once again here, but after rereading the op's post I see where I went wrong. As to what this coin stands at, I am on board with a contemporary counterfeit for the following reasons:
    the design is off which I feel is obvious but obviously passable in circulation at the time
    and it is also obvious that it isn't gold .And lastly the condition is also suspect imo, the extreme wear makes it impossible to diagnose any further (which cannot be a coincidence) other than alloy testing and I believe that I can stop there.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2024 3:42AM

Are we ignoring the possibility that it was a jeton rather than a "counterfeit"? I suppose that is still basically a counterfeit but the purpose of manufacture is different.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I would agree that it is likely a contemporary counterfeit. Very cool piece.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be better if you could make out an S.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Look on the site badmetalcoin.com. Winston Zack has examples of contemporary counterfeits for sale.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating piece!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

i posted one of these a couple years ago with zero fanfare.

HE>I

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real or not, it's an interesting conversation piece!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    i posted one of these a couple years ago with zero fanfare.

And rightly so, I would have zero interest in such a piece, but because of the op's title to his thread it made me curious otherwise I would have passed on it

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 3:32PM

Likely eventually entered circulation stream as a “dime”.

• Coins4EliCoins4Eli Posts: 24 ✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Likely eventually entered circulation stream as a “dime”.

Agreed, I just realized a little bit ago that they are the exact same size.

Member of Early American Coppers (EAC), American Numismatic Association (ANA), and Missouri Numismatic Society (MNS). Specializing in early American copper by die variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file