Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It had to happen sooner or later

epcepc Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

Across the street, in the NGC Registry, Gene Gardner had the top set of Liberty Seated Half Dimes until he sold his collection about a decade ago. My set became #1 when his was removed. I got a few upgrades since then, but in recent years most of my effort and $$$ have gone to collecting die marriages and die states. Since my set had been pretty far behind Gene's, and because I knew there were better sets over here, I expected eventually to be knocked out of the top spot. That day finally came. User BarrowTH has been building several top sets over there for the past year or so, and now has the #1 seated half dime set. Congrats to him! As for me, I'm still enjoying the hunt for the marriages and states, though it gets harder as that collection grows...

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool B) I'm having fun with my seated quarters in the registry, but I know I'll never get to the top, even if Hansen wasn't around. I'm at #6 now and the best I can eventually do is maybe #3. Maybe.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

Tagging @BarrowTH ! In my little world of Capped Bust Half Dimes, he's made some significant moves lately, including beating me (and others) out on a very nice piece, the 1835 LM-12 in PCGS MS65 at Heritage recently. He also passed me on a (small) set in the PCGS registry.

I don't have much to say for now except, "hey, nice to meet ya - congrats." :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek said:
    Tagging @BarrowTH ! In my little world of Capped Bust Half Dimes, he's made some significant moves lately, including beating me (and others) out on a very nice piece, the 1835 LM-12 in PCGS MS65 at Heritage recently. He also passed me on a (small) set in the PCGS registry.

I don't have much to say for now except, "hey, nice to meet ya - congrats." :-)

Massive buy! If I understand correctly it was the most spent on a half dime ever?

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

One should not want the spotlight on them for an extended period of time. Says someone who has never been under the spotlight.

Your set, @epc is a major accomplishment and you should be very proud of it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said: "Massive buy! If I understand correctly it was the most spent on a half dime ever?"
    Well, the 1870-S sold for a little more recently. And some 1802 higher grade examples have seen high dollar results. Did you mean the most for a CB?

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epc said:
    @Pnies20 said: "Massive buy! If I understand correctly it was the most spent on a half dime ever?"
    Well, the 1870-S sold for a little more recently. And some 1802 higher grade examples have seen high dollar results. Did you mean the most for a CB?

Yes

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file