Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A question about grading early Argentina real coin

Hello all,

No longer my coin, as I sold it last year, but think I may have undergraded it and mistaken a weak strike on the obverse centre for wear... what grade, based on the poor photos, would any collectors of the series think it would merit? Just trying to sharpen my grading skills, as I suspect I let it go a bit low!

Comments

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me that it is more than a VF - maybe a AU

For something like this in this condition and holed it is in the neighborhood of $240 - $300:

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

The details look XF but it may have environmental damage. Depends on what the staining looks like in hand.

• BjornBjorn Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Ouch, I listed it for around $350 and sold it for $266. I suppose someone got a deal...

@ELuis said:
    To me that it is more than a VF - maybe a AU

For something like this in this condition and holed it is in the neighborhood of $240 - $300:

• BjornBjorn Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys - I have a few more photos and will post those. I do have a bit of sadness over undergrading it, but appreciate the help in avoiding a similar mistake in the future - I think with this piece I was expecting a strike like you would often get with UK coins of the era (such as the George III shillings from the 1810s).

• EddiEddi Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2024 11:34PM

Having enlarged the photos you provided I would say the coin is a little better than VF, but in my opinion, not EF. I guess a US grade would be VF30, or thereabouts.
    It seems to be a nice, original coin. If you sold it for a VF20 price, you probably sold it low.

For comparison, I paid around 300 euros for this example from 1813. That was 4-5 years ago.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s nice @Eddi

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.