Home U.S. Coin Forum

what happened to this 1926 peace dollar

TOMTJCTOMTJC Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

I bought this peace dollar in May of 2023 and it was untoned like the trueview photo. Now it has dark areas on the obverse and reverse. Any ideas what caused this to happen

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned/turned in the holder. Don't know whether it falls under PCGS' warranty.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 11:03AM

The old girl didn't get all the suds off after her bath. :/

I guess that's one of the downsides to blast white (or almost BW) coins - you never know what might develop.

(Sorry RickO o:) ).

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys can tell by looking at it, that it was an old dip and not rinsed?

Could it have never been dipped and it's just old finger oil appearing over time?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Could it have never been dipped and it's just old finger oil appearing over time?

Sometimes, yes and this looks like one of those times.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic improper dip rinse result.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Sometimes, yes and this looks like one of those times.

Okay, so now we're talking....... Will breaking it out, re-dipping it or submitting for restoration fix it and bring it back to blast white?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 11:37AM

Send to PCGS under grade guarantee, tell them to reference trueviews that will show its turning in the holder. They should crack it out, dip it for you, stabilize it properly, then regrade/reholder it.

Key word, should......

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with bad rinse after dipping.
    Here's an example. This was my coin that I dipped and did a horrible job on the rinse. It was an ms63 after I dipped and sent it in.
    It turned in the holder so I Cracked it and resent it and came back a 62.
    Your coin was likely sold very quickly after being graded. It doesn't take very long to start turning in the holder after a bad dip.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see the toning just starting to appear in the Trueview. It advanced in the same pattern in the plastic. It may have been darker on the coin before the Trueview was taken, then dipped and this is just the continuation of the toning after a most had been removed.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 2:28PM

When they go bad in the holder it can happen quickly. RCI has its risks. Best strategy / move them quickly. Otherwise the bigger (more expensive) they are the harder they fall.

Don’t you just like bright white walkers that just come out of the slab mill sent in after a good dip?

Coins & Currency
  • coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    You can see the toning just starting to appear in the Trueview. It advanced in the same pattern in the plastic. It may have been darker on the coin before the Trueview was taken, then dipped and this is just the continuation of the toning after a most had been removed.

I think this is a more accurate description. Believe that coin had the look you see today before the dip. The dip removed most of the embedded tarnish, got slabbed, and its just continuing to re-emerge. I believe improper dip/rinse residue looks a little different. Not sure you can ever restore that coin to glory, every improvement will be temporary. JMHO

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 2:35PM

That’s horrible what happened quickly to the 1926 dollar. And that’s about a $600 coin. Do you live in a hot, high humidity area? If stored in bank box does the bank turn off the ac at closing?

Coins & Currency
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 4:22PM

I do not generally believe in the "incomplete dip rinse" theory for this coin or any other coins that turn in the holder.
    I have never seen an experiment that shows it can happen.

This particular coin has a continuation of toning that was already present on the coin.
    So the surface has oxidizing chemicals on it.

In my opinion, the problem is not the "rinse" part, but the "dip" part itself.
    If you are going to "dip" a coin, dip it all the way and leave it submerged for a minute or so.

A quick dip may lighten a coin a little bit. But it will strip the protective layer off of the un-toned areas of metal and/or activate compounds that are already on it. This will allow residual compounds that are still on the coin to tarnish the same areas more, or tarnish other areas on it. So if you are going to "dip" a coin (which is not always a bad thing) make sure you dip it well enough and long enough to get all the oxidizing compounds off of it.

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    Seeing as it’s a rather new slab compared to the coins age, I find it an amazing coincidence that the oils just suddenly appeared now. What I wouldn’t find coincidental would be a scenario where it was improperly dipped right before slabbing and then in the recent few years you get this.

But, I defer to the experts….

In my opinion that's the most likely scenario, it was dipped and not properly rinsed not long before it was submitted.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@dcarr Really, a whole minute dip, like in eZest? I understand what you are saying but wouldn't it be difficult to determine that correct time without making it look dipped by a loss of luster? Thanks in advance.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let it continue to tone, might turn out better in the end, and toned Peace dollars seem to be the rave these days

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 12:40AM

@Slade01 said:
    @dcarr Really, a whole minute dip, like in eZest? I understand what you are saying but wouldn't it be difficult to determine that correct time without making it look dipped by a loss of luster? Thanks in advance.

The loss of luster occurs when a coin is heavily tarnished. The loss of luster then becomes evident when it is dipped out. The result of heavy tarnishing is micro-etched surfaces that impair the luster.

A coin with moderate to light tarnish will not suffer the same from dipping, unless it is left in the solution for many minutes or hours.

For most silver coins, 15 to 30 seconds should be plenty of time to completely remove the tarnish (assuming that is the intent).

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:

I've never dipped more than a few seconds except for one that's as black as as the ace of spades. A little Qtip swabbing will remove spot toning. Again, I use the running water and spot quick work with eZest. BTW, they should change the name of their product.

• TOMTJCTOMTJC Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

Thank you for all your comments on what to do with this coin. I will be sending back to PCGS shortly. When I get it back I will post the results.

• Looks like dip residue.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file