Home U.S. Coin Forum

Storage innovation for PCGS Rattlers developed by a forum member

ms71ms71 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 4, 2024 1:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A couple weeks back I noticed a thread posted by @ndeagles about rattlers (5/23/24 - Fair premium for rattler holders). In the thread, he had photos of some rattlers in special plastic "frames" that protected them and allowed them to be stored in regular PCGS plastic boxes. I PM'd him and asked if I could buy a few. The price was very reasonable & the frames were delivered today.
The frames are hard plastic and it's easy to get a rattler into one. The rattler is held very securely. These things are just the nuts, I've wanted something like this forever. Here are a few photos:

Rattler and frame:

Frame - front view:

Frame = front view from bottom angle:

Frame - back view from side angle:

Rattler in frame - obverse:

Rattler in frame - reverse:

Rattler in frame in PCGS box:

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interested for sure. I need to count how many I would like.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Next project! 😉

I bought a rattler for this project now I've started a rattler collection...... Now I guess I'm in the market for a soapbox :)

I had one once (09S-VDB) I cracked the coin for my album, guess I should have kept it in slab

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:
    I bought a rattler for this project now I've started a rattler collection...... Now I guess I'm in the market for a soapbox :)

Keep in mind that the ANACS small holder comes in two different sizes. Having not seen or held one of your holder rings I do not know if they are flexible enough accommodate both.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@OAKSTAR said:

@ndeagles said:
    I had one once (09S-VDB) I cracked the coin for my album, guess I should have kept it in slab

Say what?? You cracked out an 09-S-VDB for your album??..... You're my kinda guy!! 👍 👍 🤣

I never was a slab collector until a few years ago, I'm an album collector!

@coinbuf said:

@ndeagles said:

Keep in mind that the ANACS small holder comes in two different sizes. Having not seen or held one of your holder rings I do not know if they are flexible enough accommodate both.

I didn't realize there were 2 sizes of them, I would have to design for each one unless the size variance is fractions of a MM. The tolerance of my design is 1/10 mm. Is there a way to tell the size difference from a picture? I do have a regular anacs slab with the curved top, I'm assuming that is not what you are referring to? I just bought this one first.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m curious how well the adapter helps further seal the slab’s weld seam? Might offer extra protection from air/gas exchange as a secondary benefit.

I’m all about utility so these are super cool to me. Necessity truly is the mother of invention. Tight work!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:

@coinbuf said:

@ndeagles said:

I didn't realize there were 2 sizes of them, I would have to design for each one unless the size variance is fractions of a MM. The tolerance of my design is 1/10 mm. Is there a way to tell the size difference from a picture? I do have a regular anacs slab with the curved top, I'm assuming that is not what you are referring to? I just bought this one first.

As I recall the slab you posted is a generation 4 and the last generation of the slightly smaller holder, the gen 5 and 6 holders were slightly bigger, but I don't have one in front of me to measure. I think I have one of the gen 5 holders at home so I'll send you the dimensions later.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great rattler adapter.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles Excellent innovation. I'm curious why you didn't use flexible rubber to accommodate other gens? Kinda like the stuff of "Otter" cases. Otherwise, I am impressed. Good luck

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 3:41AM

Someone on Instagram years ago shared something they 3D printed for rattler storage. It was a sort of insert sleeve that fit over the rattler and perfectly into a PCGS box.

I do like the look of that frame style.

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Someone on Instagram years ago shared something they 3D printed for rattler storage. It was a sort of insert sleeve that fit over the rattler and perfectly into a PCGS box.

I do like the look of that frame style.

There is a person selling those on eBay, had sold over 400 sales. Personally, I was not a fan of the sleeve, I didn't like the thought of the holder sliding in and out against plastic potentially scratching the holder (for the eBay sleeve I've seen) additionally. I designed the frame as an alternative solution, one that could be with the coin from box to box, I designed them as a challenge for myself never really as a product to market, turns out there might be a small market for them. Also I am starting a proof Franklin collection in rattlers, and plan to emboss the dates on the top of the frames for each coin. One thing I like about the modern anacs slabs is that you can see the coin details from the top, would be cool if pcgs had a "top label" to help identify which coin is in a free l full box.

@Namvet69 said:
    @ndeagles Excellent innovation. I'm curious why you didn't use flexible rubber to accommodate other gens? Kinda like the stuff of "Otter" cases. Otherwise, I am impressed. Good luck

I have a small 3d printing business which is why I went with the 3d printed plastic route. I do some casting and molding with silicone rubber and thought about making a cast of the design and still might eventually. The work effort increases significantly with silicone pouring, and the cost to manufacturer increases quite a bit too. I don't have experience working with other rubbers to know if they would be more cost effective but may explore that sometimes. The other issue with soft rubber is It may not easily slide into and out of the box like a plastic would. There is also a 3d print material called TPU which is a rubberlike plastic, my machines do not accommodate that material at this time.

These are the sleeves on eBay that someone else sells for comparison it does have the benefit of being universal got any box and also accommodates the early anacs slabs. I prefer the frame, but others might be interested in these sleeves

• These are reproduction rattler boxes I make as well as an insert for a modern box that slips in at the side to make the box narrower to fit rattler slabs. On the ‘bay or message me if interested. Boxes are hand made so take a while.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your explanation. I understand. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

@JBK said:
    @ndeagles ... is this something you can/should patent? 🤔

Patents are expensive and take quite a bit of time to complete, my partnership has several patents, and I didn't know if the rattler market can support the amount of revenue to justify the expense of a patent.

• @ndeagles said:

@JBK said:
    @ndeagles ... is this something you can/should patent? 🤔

Patents are expensive and take quite a bit of time to complete, my partnership has several patents, and I didn't know if the rattler market can support the amount of revenue to justify the expense of a patent.

As someone who has sold inserts and boxes and also knows the other maker on eBay, it’s definitely a small market. I can’t imagine a patent be at all cost effective or suing someone who violates your patent.

Nice design btw!

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:
    These are the sleeves on eBay that someone else sells for comparison it does have the benefit of being universal got any box and also accommodates the early anacs slabs. I prefer the frame, but others might be interested in these sleeves

These black sleeves work great for the soap bars!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Love it!

The gold edges are a plus by the looks of it

• ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Those custom made gold ones that @DeplorableDan had made with the business name on top really
    fit in with his new business. Classic Gold and Top Quality.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got my order. Fast shipping & a really nice item - perfect for rattlers! My fave is the black with sparkles; copper a close second! Thanks Nicholas!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a dozen or so of the ANACS SWH sleeves for quite some time. They work fine.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick, I bought these when I 1st saw them in that other post. As i said in that post, these are great!!!
    I'm glad others on here took notice and ordered some
    Good product and I love mine
    @DeplorableDan
    Great idea on adding your company name to them..............always ahead of the croud :)

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@idratherbgardening said:
    As someone who has sold inserts and boxes and also knows the other maker on eBay, it’s definitely a small market. I can’t imagine a patent be at all cost effective or suing someone who violates your patent.

You would also be looking at a design patent, not a utility patent. Design patents cover the ornamental part of an object. For example, the (now expired) SEGS Slab patent is a design patent. Design patents are weaker because it's usually easier to change enough to be outside the patent.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. When you have 5 or so different holders for various sets of coins. Different slab sizes are a pain. Thank you fabricators for this assistance.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Love it!

Those look excellent! 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file