Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a ragged edge clip

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a collection of coins today from a dealer that he didn't have time to go through. One bag has about 400 Indian cents I was pulling out the damaged ones and this one originally ended up in the cull pile. Before I put them back into circulation( what I usually do with cull indians) this caught my eye. Not much into errors but this looks different to me.

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see a blakesly effect weakness at 180 degrees from the clip, so my gut says no

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know. That's why I bookmarked this thread to find out. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine ragged clip, here is what I see in your pics to make the determination:

• denticle fade on either edge of the clip on both sides, strong evidence of metal flow
    • weakly struck denticles along the ragged edge, confirming that the surface was uneven before the strike
    • faint Blakesley effect, notably on the reverse, this shows as a slightly flatter and wider rim, it is subtle but present

The only other thing I would check is the outside edge of the clip for signs of sawing or cutting, but I am confident even without a pic that you won't see that and that the coin is a genuine Mint error.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
      1. You nailed it, of course.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my assessment, as well, but I wanted to let someone more knowledgeable weigh in first. :)

I also see a faint Blakesley Effect, as noted.

Congratulations!

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks guys. this one will avoid another stint in circulation I guess

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file