Home Q & A Forum

2023 penny discolored

Can anyone tell me why the one penny is so dark. Its 2023. The pic was taken next to a normal 2023 for comparison. Thanks!

Answers

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 568 ✭✭✭✭

The penny on the right is brown because the environment that it was kept in turned the coin brown due to oxidation.
    I can't say how other than processes you would expect

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Would it still be very shiny and smooth if that was the case?

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 568 ✭✭✭✭

I can't say, you have the coin. If it is shiney and smooth than yes, it is the case. If it is rough and dull then it is not the case.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

It’s called environmental toning. Copper cents can change many colours depending on what they have been exposed to. Nearly all circulated copper coins will change colour eventually.
    Also do not hold coins in your hands, place them on a flat neutral colour background to photograph.

• JWPJWP Posts: 20,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of cents just like these when doing CRH. I have to agree with Greenstang, it is due to the environment that the circulated cent visited while in circulation. Who know where it has been, maybe a parking lot find or it may have spent time at a Walmart.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members