Home U.S. Coin Forum

An interesting piece of Exonumia.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a time when the items issued by noted Numismatist Thomas L. Elder really got me going, I was obsessed with collecting them and read all I could about the man and his prolific issuing of medals. I've calmed down somewhat but still search and still own a small number of SC$'s as I try to complete a "Type Set" by number. This morning I was surprised to find something I'd never seen or heard referenced before, a counterstamp done with the dies for the 1909 Hudson Daalder. I was the initial submitter to NGC of the 1st MS68 HK-371 they graded back around 2005, a really beautiful medal that I believe member @Weiss owns today, so seeing other items struck with those dies arouses my curiosity.

The item(s) I found are counter-stamped Morgan Dollars and the information states the following:
--- Produced by Higgins for Tom Elder from dies by J.E. Roine. One of the most interesting items in the collection, at least to this writer, and definitely one that should be seen to be enjoyed, especially if you are familiar with the 1909 exonumia series related to Hudson. They are listed with a Provenance: From the Anthony Terranova Collection. Maybe that name needs to go on the @Zoins list, I don't know since I had not heard of it before.

The counter-stamp itself is well done and centered nicely on the host coin. Does anyone know who the "Higgins" might be that is listed as the issuer, I'm unfamiliar with the name. Perhaps @CaptHenway will find the thread and add additional information. Have other members seen such items, maybe on other denomination coins?? Thanks in advance for any additional information. Enjoy.

Maywood.

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 6:15AM

"The item(s) I found are counter-stamped Morgan Dollars and the information states the following:
    --- Produced by Higgins for Tom Elder from dies by J.E. Roine. One of the most interesting items in the collection, at least to this writer, and definitely one that should be seen to be enjoyed, especially if you are familiar with the 1909 exonumia series related to Hudson. They are listed with a Provenance: From the Anthony Terranova Collection. Maybe that name needs to go on the @Zoins list, I don't know since I had not heard of it before."

Anthony (Tony) Terranova is a long-time dealer and collector, whom I've known for 40+ plus years. He specializes in early American coins and medals and is incredibly knowledgeable, as well as a very straight shooter.

Here's a link to an article about his winning the American Numismatic Association’s Farran Zerbe Memorial Award for Distinguished Service, back in 2011. It includes some good background information about him, as well.
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/anthony-terranova-receives-farran-zerbe-memor.html

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

These dies were over struck on many different host coins, both US and foreign. I have sale records for a dozen or so. Yours was sold by Stacks in 2010, and there was a similar example a few lots later in the same sale

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

For information on Higgins, see DeLorey-90, and the comments in the text at the beginning on my article about the 1909 ANA election.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway, I know it's a lot to ask from memory, but what sorts of coins and how many do you recall having struck? If I go only from the reply by @jonathanb I'd have expected I would have seen some before today.

@Maywood said:
    @CaptHenway, I know it's a lot to ask from memory, but what sorts of coins and how many do you recall having struck? If I go only from the reply by @jonathanb I'd have expected I would have seen some before today.

Are you talking about the small Hudson and/or Fulton dies struck on various coins?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really cool piece, @Maywood.
    I just noticed Jeff Shevlin's newest price list and offerings when it occurred to me that I accidentally have one of if not the finest collection of the small series: Bronze, aluminum, silver, gold.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 6:24PM

@CaptHenway said: Are you talking about the small Hudson and/or Fulton dies struck on various coins?

Forget that request, I was confused and somehow misread my own post.

Finally dug this out of the SDB so I could take a few quick pictures.

This is the apparently rare DeLorey-77 Small Hudson Obverse/ Small Fulton Obverse Mule, struck on a Honduras 1907 UN/10 Centavos altered denomination coin. I say apparently rare because I have never seen another, although Elder did list a Bronze striking in one of his auction catalogues. He also listed overstrikes on a Model 1/4 Farthing and on a V.D.B. Lincoln penny.

This is especially dear to me because my two great collections were Thomas Elder tokens and coins of Honduras. This piece combines both fields in one piece.

Anybody else out there have a DeLorey-77, either natural or overstruck on something?

TD

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one from the 6/1996 Presidential sale. Or else there's more than one.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction of a big collection of Hudson-Fulton items occurred yesterday.

https://liveauctioneers.com/catalog/330817_poughkeepsie-ny-hudson-valley-collector/

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file