Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Foreign Coins Information

Is there a guide on this site to help identify and price foreign coins such as these in the pictures? Where can I find information on this old World War II set?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 8:46AM

The World coins are all common issues which all should be worth less than a dollar each. Realistically, less than 50c each for most. This is the sort of material I used to sell in my ten-cent and 3/$1 pick bins when I was a smalltime antique mall dealer.

The ones which say “$100” are Mexican 100-peso coins (the $ sign is also the peso symbol- in fact, we borrowed it from them.) When I was in Mexico in 1986 the exchange rate for those was about one-sixth of a US dollar. The old peso of the time was increasingly worthless, so they demonetized these coins when they later switched to a new peso.

For the US coins in the WW2 holder, the silver War nickels each have about $1.72 worth of silver in them at today’s prices. The steel cent might be worth a quarter or so. The regular Wheat cents are worth just a few cents each.

So there’s nothing especially valuable there, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy the stuff. I used to enjoy cheap World coins quite a bit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 8:41AM

The bottom right coin looks like a Canadian 10-cent piece. Does it have a sailing schooner on the other side? If it dates before 1968, that could have some silver in it, but the later dates do not. I can’t quite tell from its color in the photos whether it’s a silver one or not.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    The bottom right coin looks like a Canadian 10-cent piece. Does it have a sailing schooner on the other side? If it dates before 1968, that could have some silver in it, but the later dates do not. I can’t quite tell from its color in the photos whether it’s a silver one or not.

Looks like a nickel to me.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Coin_RookieCoin_Rookie Posts: 52 ✭✭

@lordmarcovan
    It does have the sailing schooner but it’s 1974. Thank you so much for the information, it will save me a ton of time researching. I’m with you, value or not I think the coins are neat and enjoy collecting them! Yes I would love to have a 1943 copper penny or 1944 steel penny, but until then I’ll enjoy my face value coins!! Thanks again lordmarcovan.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS doesn't maintain a "price guide" for world coins, but NGC does: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/ The prices in the NGC guide are old, being derived from the now-defunct Krause coin catalogues, and patchily augmented with auction data for slabbed coins. But they're OK for a "ball-park figure".

The coins in your first picture are from Mexico, the Netherlands Antilles (a now-mostly-disbanded federation of former Dutch colonies in the Caribbean), Canada and Great Britain.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)