Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1690 Pieces of Eight

2»

Answers

• 23Vasquez2323Vasquez23 Posts: 114 ✭✭

One other thing I wanted to ask? What does the Philivs 1111 mean?

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's what I've been trying to tell you. It's the name of the Spanish king, Philip IV. Who died in 1665, making it impossible for his name to be on a 1690 coin. On an actual 1690 Potosi coin the name there is "CAROLVS II".

On actual Spanish coins of Philip IV, such as we see here on this Numista page, the name is written PHILIPVS IIII. On your replica, they've mis-spelled his name, omitting the second "P" - perhaps because the coin they were copying from had that part of the coin missing.

Here's a company that will happily sell you as many "aged-looking" one ounce .999 silver 1690 8 reales as you want to buy; theirs actually have the correct obverse and reverse designs for 1690, though at one troy ounce, they too are seriously overweight.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything about the first half of that “expert” text is pretty much wrong…even some of the spelling. 😂

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

No expert in the series would ever be convinced that the coins you presented here are authentic. If you’re telling the truth about having people tell you that it looks good, they’re not experts. These are SO far off. Sapyx could probably tell they were fake before you took them out of your pockets, they are that bad.

I’m not even sure why I keep responding, you’ve been told over and over that they’re fake, but you keep insisting that they could be real. They’re NOT. Definitively, in every way imaginable.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

The people that have told you that it's authentic are not "experts". It's fake , as you've been told repeatedly.