Home U.S. Coin Forum

What companies or businesses are innovating Numismatics?

Coming from the tech world I hear a lot of new [usually terrible] business ideas.

I'm curious what interesting startups in numismatics are shaking up the space?

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@treybenedict is quite the disruptor with the Pure App and Marketplace.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    There's a little company called United States Bullion making waves in the grading and stickering business.

What is United States Bullion doing that makes it different from PCGS and NGC? I checked out their website and I didn't see anything that makes it stand out.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 6:57AM

@AlbumNerd said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    There's a little company called United States Bullion making waves in the grading and stickering business.

What is United States Bullion doing that makes it different from PCGS and NGC? I checked out their website and I didn't see anything that makes it stand out.

I believe this comment is in jest, not actually an innovative company. Assuming that’s who he means, his comment is quite funny!!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a company here in Australia a few years ago advocating use of their spray-on anti-theft microdots for coins. They came and made a presentation to my coin club about it.

The theory was you spray the microdots - tiny little stickers with a personal ID code printed on each one of them - onto your coin while it's in the 2x2 or slab, and theft could easily be thwarted (or proved) simply by finding and reading the microdots.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have occurred to them that thieves are quite capable of removing coins from their holders. And coin collectors would be reluctant to spray tiny stickers directly onto their coins.

Nor does it seem to have occurred to them that sometimes, people might actually want to sell their coins legally to other people, putting "your" microdots legitimately in someone else's hands...

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    There was a company here in Australia a few years ago advocating use of their spray-on anti-theft microdots for coins. They came and made a presentation to my coin club about it.

The theory was you spray the microdots - tiny little stickers with a personal ID code printed on each one of them - onto your coin while it's in the 2x2 or slab, and theft could easily be thwarted (or proved) simply by finding and reading the microdots.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have occurred to them that thieves are quite capable of removing coins from their holders. And coin collectors would be reluctant to spray tiny stickers directly onto their coins.

Nor does it seem to have occurred to them that sometimes, people might actually want to sell their coins legally to other people, putting "your" microdots legitimately in someone else's hands...

sounds like those microdots would spread all over the place forever like glitter

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

glitter is properly called craft herpes.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moonlight Mint will prove in the coming decades to have created some of the most confusing date coins ever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file