Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1988 Mexico 500 Pesos Doubled Die Obverse

Found this beauty in a small bag of world coins from Europe and Mexico that was gifted to me, and have received verification from experts that I trust that this is indeed a new Doubled Die. The doubling is naked eye visible and fairly extreme. I was unsure if it might actually have been double struck, but have been informed that it was not, and is a doubled die for sure.
If not a new doubled die, please let me know, as I cannot find any references other than some MD and Deteriorated die doubled coins, and would like to know where info about it might be found! Otherwise just posting to share.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert on errors, so cannot say anything about the coin itself except that the doubling is interesting.

But I can tell you that Mexican Mint errors from the 1970s and 1980s are pretty common (clips, blank planchets, wrong planchet strikes, off center strikes, doubling, etc.).

Today, the Mexican Mint is world class and ISO certified, but that has been only since the last 20-25 years (or perhaps since the start of bimetallic coinage in 1992).