Home U.S. Coin Forum

1940 S Mercury Dime, new variety/discovery?

in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2024 11:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Nothing similar on varietyvista site. Minor one but still a cool find….IMO.

Comments

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredibly intense photography that I can absolutely appreciate and am jealous that I do not have the ability to duplicate. But me thinks that you are looking too closely at your coins. If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it.............
    I don't believe any coin related site has looked this closely at their varieties to know if their's match or vary from yours. The minting process isn't meant to view that close, what your are looking at is imperfections in the process which are completely normal for the process and will occur and consequently be ignored imo

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to VarietyVista, you can also check the listings on doubleddie.com:

https://doubleddie.com/1457540.html

The WDDR-002 looks similar, but would need to see more of your coin for confirmation.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing similar ........? Their wearing bell bottoms. Sry, I have tretts.
    Ya really intense, now if those britches stepped on a letter, image, or a lego , here we go, right.
    Cool.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a DD but I don't know if it is new.

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely a minor DDR. The split corners on the star show nice clear doubling. Try matching it to something on doubleddie.com—that’s Wexler’s site, and it lists many, many more varieties than Variety Vista does.

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Oops I see @IkesT beat me to suggesting doubleddie.com.

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    In addition to VarietyVista, you can also check the listings on doubleddie.com:

https://doubleddie.com/1457540.html

The WDDR-002 looks similar, but would need to see more of your coin for confirmation.

Thanks for the site info!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file