Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can a Coin Graded GENUINE - CLEANED - AU DETAIL Retain some Luster ?

EddiEddi Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw such a coin graded as described and described by the seller as retaining luster.

I always thought that once a TPG decides a coin merits the above description, it is because in their judgement cleaning is severe enough as not to merit a grade, and by definition does not exhibit original luster.

Best Answers

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes, a coin that has been cleaned can still retain mint luster. It all depends on the variety and severity of the cleaning, and the state of the coin prior to the cleaning.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Coins that have been cleaned and receive datails-grades can still retain luster. For example, cleaning isn’t always over the entire surface of the coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Answers

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    I saw such a coin graded as described and described by the seller as retaining luster.

I always thought that once a TPG decides a coin merits the above description, it is because in their judgement cleaning is severe enough as not to merit a grade, and by definition does not exhibit original luster.

Yes

• EddiEddi Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much for your explanations. It is clear now.
    Thanks!

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a little late to the party, but I’ve got a pertinent story about a failed crackout.

A couple years ago I bought an ICG slabbed dime that was graded MS66 and was an unattributed variety I wanted. But it was covered in PVC. So my plan was to crack it, kill the PVC with acetone, then submit it to PCGS for grading and attribution.

Well, steps 1 & 2 went as planned, but once the PVC was gone, it uncovered a light cleaning over the entirety of Liberty’s profile.

So now I’ve got a cleaned raw dime that still has a whole lot of blazing luster. 😡

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file