Home U.S. Coin Forum

CACG with moderns - Experience?

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2024 12:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a bunch of moderns to send in, these are less than 5 years old from Lincolns to quarters. How has CACG been compared to the other TPG's?

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Desperate for modern submissions was the first thing that came to my mind:

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was about to ask this myself. I have some of the key date early 2000's state proof quarters in PR70DCAM that sell for $150-500 on ebay and was wondering if I should try to cross them or if it's a waste of time (ie, could I sell these for more afterwards). I'm just not sure collectors in these series are "hot" for CACG coins as most collectors are probably trying to build out their existing PCGS and NGC collections and are probably hesitant to switch TPGs. OTOH, a CACG PR70DCAM would give some buyers that extra confidence they seek.

• manlye1manlye1 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

I have the same question with full step Jefferson

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 8:53PM

I'm just not sure collectors in these series are "hot" for CACG coins as most collectors are probably trying to build out their existing PCGS and NGC collections and are probably hesitant to switch TPGs. OTOH, a CACG PR70DCAM would give some buyers that extra confidence they seek.
    >

I think you’re on to something. I can’t even begin to imagine what the premiums would be on CACG moderns, if at all?

Personally, I’m scared to death to send CACG any moderns. Until I see some semblance of a CACG modern market develop- I’m out. Too many unknowns.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually had heard that CACG modern 70s were bringing a premium, but it’s just hearsay and I have done no amount of research whatsoever.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I understand, most buyers of PR70DCAM coins are in it for the registries. As such, they're probably buying PCGS/NGC coins.

Coin Photographer.

Well I have a 1999-S PCGS Delaware Silver PR70DCAM quarter for sale for a while. These go on ebay $400-600, Mine has been the cheapest on ebay at $550 but there have been a few Sirius auctions I was competing with although I think Sirius may have run out of them. For the cost of shipping and $20 (if successful, $0 if not) I could try to cross it and then see if I could sell it for PCGS guide price $675 in a reasonable amount of time. Worst case I can theoretically cross it back to PCGS for roughly $35 + shipping. It just really isn't worth it unless I could conceive of someone paying far more than $675 for the CACG plastic.

@FlyingAl said:
    From what I understand, most buyers of PR70DCAM coins are in it for the registries. As such, they're probably buying PCGS/NGC coins.

That's what I'm thinking.

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

I think this thread highlights the major challenge that CACG faces in growing its business - the absolute loyalty of collectors working on their PCGS registry sets. In modern business terms, PCGS has a protective ‘moat’ around their business model which effectively repels all its potential competition.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Typekat said:
    I think this thread highlights the major challenge that CACG faces in growing its business - the absolute loyalty of collectors working on their PCGS registry sets. In modern business terms, PCGS has a protective ‘moat’ around their business model which effectively repels all its potential competition.

CACG has stated clearly that it does not want to be a mega volume grader. Those that care about accurate grading and no (or at least minimal chance of) altered surfaces will migrate to CACG. As I have. I am about to send my 3rd batch in this year - and oh, I always get them back home in ≤3 weeks from the day I send them in. So that means those that have concerns about their coins sitting somewhere else for many months at a time will also migrate to CACG. And if you are a dealer, that time matters and costs to have inventory sitting months at a TPG.......................

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Typekat said:

CACG has cheaper fees and the turnaround time is awesome compared to PCGS. I think it is probably like PCGS in the early 2000's. I have a few hundred to send in and if they get super rare grades maybe cross them back was my thought.

@spacehayduke said:

@Typekat said:

CACG has stated clearly that it does not want to be a mega volume grader. Those that care about accurate grading and no (or at least minimal chance of) altered surfaces will migrate to CACG. As I have. I am about to send my 3rd batch in this year - and oh, I always get them back home in ≤3 weeks from the day I send them in. So that means those that have concerns about their coins sitting somewhere else for many months at a time will also migrate to CACG. And if you are a dealer, that time matters and costs to have inventory sitting months at a TPG.......................

That certainly was the case but PCGS has fixed their turnaround times. See https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1104289/pcgs-has-fixed-turnaround-times/p1?new=1

@Clackamas1 said:

@Typekat said:

CACG has cheaper fees and the turnaround time is awesome compared to PCGS. I think it is probably like PCGS in the early 2000's. I have a few hundred to send in and if they get super rare grades maybe cross them back was my thought.

I do certainly appreciate that CACG has more generous tiers which I would love to see PCGS adjust to. Economy up to $500 vs $300 and standard/regular up to $3000 (at least you can still get an ounce of gold graded by CACG without using express.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 11:24AM

There are some CACG mods out there. Have some CACG Classic but not mods. Are there premium for the mods? Well their are sellers bumping up sell on them. However don’t see premium for CACG mods in CDN.

What about you have you bid them up / paid extra? Low pop advantage?

May get a couple them mods, curious.
    Just cost plus $5 see if people buy them?

Coins & Currency
  • NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 5:41PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Typekat said:

Ehh. Time will tell. If they really meant that, they wouldn't be going after the modern market at all.

But they are, because that's where the money is, for the mega volume graders. What they are really saying is that they are not going to whore themselves out by lowering standards to chase volume. And we'll just have to wait and see whether they stick with that over time.

Older holders, from NGC, PCGS, and even ANACS, go for premiums because they are all known for having been more conservative back in the day. Now it's CACG's turn.

Let's see if they don't give in to the same temptation everyone else did as their business grows. Particularly since just about everyone involved with CACG profited, in one way or another, from what the other services became as they grew.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2024 5:51AM

I don’t see them as a mega volume grader either. In addition many off the bourse imo tough sell for them pay the extra money for them. They will certainly look at them. I have a few CACG pieces (all Classic era). Have moved a couple too.

I do believe they are very popular with certain well off collectors. Mainly I see the CACG material as a TE who is an edge sealant blocker for the ground game vs a WR. If the guy makes some TD catches too that’s great. Certainly a player we will recruit as they are a good fit for our west coast offense.

Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file