Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the True Definition of “Cameo”

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve recently been thinking about this, as the standard of “cameo” is probably the least clearly defined designator.

How would you, as a numismatist, define “Cameo”?

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting question.

I will give it some thought and post a follow up reply with my definition.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the contrast seen between the fields and the devices? The deeper the mirrors are in the fields, the whiter the devices become, it seems. Although the devices may have been abraded in some way or sand blasted to make them appear white or frosted. I really don't have the vocabulary to put together a definition in its best light. But I do know, having seen enough of them, how deep I want the mirrors in the fields to be when selecting coins for my collection. I spend a great deal of time comparing all my proof coins together in hand before accepting a new possible addition. A great number of collectors just don't know if the coins they buy have been cleaned and that's unfortunate for them.
    The early proof Jeffs I have, 1938 to 1942-P, I have compared their mirrors and frost to those on the cameo graded proofs I have for the later dates 1951 to 1959 before deeming them to have a cameo obverse or reverse, 1or 2 both sides. How else can it be done without your eyes on the coins. I don't just sit back, write big checks for high labeled coins and enter the slab numbers to see how it raises some gpa.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say the fields need to be consistent. For example. this coin only has a Cameo appearance (JA thought it was a cameo; but, he was overruled by his team : ) ).

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 1:21PM

@DisneyFan said:
    I would say the fields need to be consistent. For example. this coin only has a Cameo appearance (JA thought it was a cameo; but, he was overruled by his team : ) ).

A reverse image might be helpful.

What do you mean by “the fields need to be consistent”? You’re hereby warned that I may use your answer against you.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Thanks for asking, Mark.

The areas around 1912 and D STATES OF are the most consistent. The area in front of the face lacks consistency. In hand, the coin appeared cameo; but, the effect wasn't consistent and it really became apparent with the "TV."

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the term "cameo" loosely on Morgan's. I like a little contrast between the fields and devices.
    In technical terms I am wrong but I can't afford a cameo proof so I need to make due with what I have.
    @Floridafacelifter could definetly tell or show us what a true Morgan cameo looks like.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

@DisneyFan said:
    Thanks for asking, Mark.

The areas around 1912 and D STATES OF are the most consistent. The area in front of the face lacks consistency. In hand, the coin appeared cameo; but, the effect wasn't consistent and it really became apparent with the "TV."

I’m still not sure what you mean. I’ve seen a lot of Cameo’s that ranged anywhere from color-free to rather deeply toned. And the color and depth of toning wasn’t necessarily “consistent”. Typically, a coin is labeled “Cameo” if there’s adequate frost over the devices and it contrasts enough with the fields.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 2:37PM

Just gonna make a quick little appearance in this thread

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@Morgan13 said:
    I use the term "cameo" loosely on Morgan's. I like a little contrast between the fields and devices.
    In technical terms I am wrong but I can't afford a cameo proof so I need to make due with what I have.
    @Floridafacelifter could definetly tell or show us what a true Morgan cameo looks like.

Morgan dollars don’t need to be Proofs in order to exhibit obvious cameo contrast. It’s just that PCGS and NGC don’t use the “Cameo” designation for non-Proofs. ANACS does, however.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this information on the PCGS Website.... Grading Standards Designations.

PCGS Link

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

While for some Proofs the choice is obvious, for others it gets much harder.

For example, is this coin a CAM? It certainly meets PCGS's definition.

Coin Photographer.

@FlyingAl said:

What about the sun?

@MFeld said:

@FlyingAl said:

What about the sun?

I have yet to see a graded cameo 1942 Walker that shows more frost on the sun than the current coin. In fact, there's a PR66CAM CAC coin I recently saw that shows almost precisely the same amount of sun frost. I'd be happy to PM you an image.

Coin Photographer.

@FlyingAl said:

@MFeld said:

@FlyingAl said:

What about the sun?

I have yet to see a graded cameo 1942 Walker that shows more frost on the sun than the current coin. In fact, there's a PR66CAM CAC coin I recently saw that shows almost precisely the same amount of sun frost. I'd be happy to PM you an image.

I appreciate the offer but that’s not necessary - I believe you. What about the sun on other dates of Cameo examples?

@MFeld said:

@FlyingAl said:

@MFeld said:

@FlyingAl said:

What about the sun?

I appreciate the offer but that’s not necessary - I believe you. What about the sun on other dates of Cameo examples?

I've seen one fully frosted sun on a 1938. The coin can only really be described as Deep Cameo from what I've seen.

From what l have seen all CAM 1939s have fully brilliant suns.

Coin Photographer.

edited May 31, 2024 7:08PM

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:
    Thanks for asking, Mark.

I’m still not sure what you mean. I’ve seen a lot of Cameo’s that ranged anywhere from color-free to rather deeply toned. And the color and depth of toning wasn’t necessarily “consistent”. Typically, a coin is labeled “Cameo” if there’s adequate frost over the devices and it contrasts enough with the fields.

Here is the reverse of that 1912. It would be nice if CAC would turn the slab picture upside down. Anyway, 2/3s of the reverse field appears consistently dark and the other 1/3...actually, looks like somebody scuffed the slab. By the way, this was a nicely toned proof - nothing spectacular though. I wish it looked like Floridafacelifter's posted 1881 silver dollar.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO Cameo designation is complete bs, another way for a coin to sell for more. Sure it is about eye appeal and a coin with wonderful eye appeal is special and should sell for more and true cameo designation can look excellent. But there are other characteristics that show eye appeal without any designation attributed to such, so are we to designate one for every scenario.
    However most of the time the true designation is again incredibly subjective as is grading and it becomes a moving target. I ignore cameo designation and when a coin has it on a holder typically one has to pay more, and often it is for nothing extra

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I don't think there is a move from Cameo to non Cameo in one strike. Like many things it is subjective and you will have strikes that are generally agreed to be Cameo, strikes that aren't, and strikes which fall somewhere in between. These in between strikes make it difficult to have a clear definition of the term when you have a coin that arguably both is and isn't 'Cameo'.

• Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    IMO Cameo designation is complete bs, another way for a coin to sell for more. Sure it is about eye appeal and a coin with wonderful eye appeal is special and should sell for more and true cameo designation can look excellent. But there are other characteristics that show eye appeal without any designation attributed to such, so are we to designate one for every scenario.
    However most of the time the true designation is again incredibly subjective as is grading and it becomes a moving target. I ignore cameo designation and when a coin has it on a holder typically one has to pay more, and often it is for nothing extra

I respect you from your past posts; however, this one gets you a LOL from me. Cameo coins are not BS and not surprisingly, I doubt if anyone here cares what some members choose to ignore.

PS Did you write Engraving Liberty?

• BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

I know it when I see it.
    Agree it’s more subjective than other designations.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

@RobertScotLover said:

I respect you from your past posts; however, this one gets you a LOL from me. Cameo coins are not BS and not surprisingly, I doubt if anyone here cares what some members choose to ignore.

PS Did you write Engraving Liberty?

I understand, don't think that I didn't think most would agree with my stance. I have a cameo coin in an older holder, hard to say if it is truly cameo, I don't believe it is therefore I ignore the holder. I do enjoy the coin, couldn't careless if it is cameo or not, didn't buy it as a cameo, in fact I bought it before I knew what cameo designation was. On Coinfacts I check cameos when researching all conditions of certain coins and some cameos are quite striking but I don't need the designation on the holder to appreciate that they are striking in appearance. I just ignore the cameo designation, just like I ignore the Prooflike designation

@DisneyFan said:

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:
    Thanks for asking, Mark.

Here is the reverse of that 1912. It would be nice if CAC would turn the slab picture upside down. Anyway, 2/3s of the reverse field appears consistently dark and the other 1/3...actually, looks like somebody scuffed the slab. By the way, this was a nicely toned proof - nothing spectacular though. I wish it looked like Floridafacelifter's posted 1881 silver dollar.

Now that I’ve seen pictures of both sides, despite the uneven color, the coin looks like a Cameo to me.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my way of thinking a true cameo should have the typical black/white appearance. The fields should be reflective and the devices should be matte.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 4:39PM

Following up my previous reply with this one.

Some coins have been given a Cameo designation that (IMO) should not have received one.

Examples are:

1950 halves.

PF65 CAM (from Coinfacts)

The above PF65 CAM half, compared to this PF65 half that I own

perplexes me.

Looking at the photos of each coin and looking at my coin in hand leads me to believe that the PF65 CAM coin should not have been given the designation, or that my PF65 should have received the designation.

1959 halves.

PF67 CAM (from Coinfacts)

The above PF67 CAM half, compared to this PF67 half that I own

and compared to this PF69 half (from Coinfacts)

also perplexes me.

Looking at the photos of each coin and looking at my coin in hand leads me to believe that the PF67 CAM coin should not have been given the designation, or that my PF67 and the PF69 should have received the designation.

edited June 1, 2024 4:53PM

You shouldn’t be perplexed. Designations such as “Cameo” and “Deep/Ultra Cameo” aren’t as objective or consistently applied as many of us would like. Thus some deserving coins haven’t received the designations, while some undeserving ones have. It’s really that simple.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

Look at the bottom of the neck where the frost is not full. I have never seen a coin with designation of CAM with this lack of frost. I had quite a few Morgans 10 or so years ago when they became to expensive for me and all were fully frosted on the raised devices. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited June 1, 2024 5:28PM

@jesbroken said:

@DisneyFan said:

Look at the bottom of the neck where the frost is not full. I have never seen a coin with designation of CAM with this lack of frost. I had quite a few Morgans 10 or so years ago when they became to expensive for me and all were fully frosted on the raised devices. JMO
    Jim

My experiences have been very different from yours. I’ve seen a lot of coins designated “Cameo”, despite subpar frost on portions of the devices. And apparently, that John Albanese fellow thought the coin deserved the designation.😉

@MFeld said:

@jesbroken said:

@DisneyFan said:

Jim

My experiences have been very different from yours. I’ve seen a lot of coins designated “Cameo”, despite subpar frost on portions of the devices. And apparently, that John Albanese fellow thought the coin deserved the designation.😉

Herein lies the essence of the thread. :lol:

The standard is ultimately different for each grader, which makes me wonder if there is a way to make it more standardized.

Coin Photographer.

@FlyingAl said:

@MFeld said:

@jesbroken said:

@DisneyFan said:

Jim

Herein lies the essence of the thread. :lol:

The standard is ultimately different for each grader, which makes me wonder if there is a way to make it more standardized.

The “standard” (whatever it supposedly is) might not be different for each grader. I think it’s just like in the case of numerical grading - there’s a lack of ideal consistency in applying standards to each coin. There are no clearly defined lines involved and I don’t see that changing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file