Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Grades back from our Host- Egypt 5/31/204

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 7, 2024 1:51PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I thought I would try something alittle different going forward. I plan to limit grade results to one thread a week contain one country with the possibility of containing up to three-perhaps four coins. I plan to just share my thoughts at the outset and hopefully that will provide some insight that might be helpful. So let's move on...

This is the fourth Egyptian coin I have submitted to PCGS and this one, not surprisingly, received the highest grade. I am not much of an Egyptian collector. The mottled toning is further highlighted by cartwheel lustre which may not resonate with everyone, but nonetheless, it has a look which I like. My grade was split 50-50 between 63-64. I choose to buy this coin at a time I was not looking for one. The analysis to buy and submit was based on resources and the unlikely probability of finding one of the Farouk 20 Piastres type that I would like more.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin, how accurate is the pic? does the coin have that yellowish toning or is that the image?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TrueView is okay- this is a tough coin to capture in terms of color. There is sort of a gun metal color with rustic colors that are more orange than yellow.

A total of 49 have been graded by our host of which 34 are in the MS spectrum. i 65 and 10 at 64.

I may share on the US Forum to point out that this is the guy that owned the 1933 Saint

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha- good ol’ Farouk! He was one of history’s most famous coin collectors, as I know you were aware.

I just gave away another toned Farouk in this month’s CoinTalk giveaway, as it happens. (This a 2-piastre in PCGS AU58.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.