Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Stack's auction 1770 8 reales PCGS AU-55 seems like the coins has scratches everywhere

Comments

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭

True, lighting might make it look worse, but you're not wrong, it looks like a Brillo pad was used to clean her up.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 7:02AM

Agree, super ugly surfaces, how can this get an AU grade?

On my last submission one of my coins, a Peso Balance 1872 from Chihuahua, had a single minor scratch on the small ray's area that I did not see and they marked it with DETAILS, and this one AU?

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

Definitely a lot of handling marks, probably some of those are wipe marks, but there's no real pattern hairlining. The coin being highly lustrous, even slightly reflective, is making each and every one show - and the photography seems like it didn't help. They apparently gave it the benefit of the doubt on being decent enough to not bodybag.

Went to have a look into another 8R of same year and grade:

Have similar condition on the surfaces a nice scratch on the globes and part of the left pillar.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 3:30PM

Personally I would wait for a better example just to many scratches for an AU coin. The coin is just to common not to wait for a better example. 8 reales of this series show up often enough minus the milled 1732 of course.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 6:00PM

@ELuis said:

On my last submission one of my coins, a Peso Balance 1872 from Chiapas, had a single minor scratch on the small ray's area that I did not see and they marked it with DETAILS, and this one AU?

Now I'm curious as there were no Chiapas minted pesos. :p Chihuahua?

edited June 1, 2024 7:02AM

@Abuelo said:

@ELuis said:

On my last submission one of my coins, a Peso Balance 1872 from Chiapas, had a single minor scratch on the small ray's area that I did not see and they marked it with DETAILS, and this one AU?

Now I'm curious as there were no Chiapas minted pesos. :p Chihuahua?

Yes my mistake, have the CH on it, so Chiapas was the first that came up - Dang! - It is fixed - Thanks!

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis happens to the best of us.

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

The vertical lines are raised, you can tell from the way the light hits them compared with the devices and contrasted with the other marks. There is a decent amount of hairlining and hits especially on the reverse, but the coin looks somewhat prooflike and the devices seem to have a nice frost to them. Overall I think it has a nice look.

• ClioClio Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very prooflike coin with normal circulation wear which presents far worse than it is. Especially in photos.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:
    Went to have a look into another 8R of same year and grade:

Have similar condition on the surfaces a nice scratch on the globes and part of the left pillar.

I think that is a planchet (weight) "adjustment" mark.
    Early US silver and gold coin frequently have them.
    Most of the time they do not get completely obliterated by the strike.

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

A single cut like that would be an odd adjustment, but it's very straight and wide for a scratch and it certainly doesn't seem to have any displaced metal as you would expect from PMD. I own that particular coin so I've examined it quite closely.

I grab that image from the PCGS site and posted for that single line.

I found it on SB site:

They have this on the description: One mark of note crosses the globes.

• AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Proof-likes coins with heavy die polishing lines make a very poor appearance. If you look closely at this coin, the lines are only in the field and not on top of the devices. Hence, not cleaned.