Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting find from 1972

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

While going through some boxes of coin related stuff, I found a small bag of coins that I brought home from Europe in 1972. Even though the one group is European countries coinage along with a group of 20 some wheat cents, I thought I would share the find here. Obviously, these are just average removed from change coins that I picked up while being overseas for 3 years, including the wheat cents. But to think of this being 52 years ago is somewhat cool.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is cool. It also reminds me of a story I read in the news today about events that happened in 1974 and I thought to myself "oh, that was about 16-18 years ago..." until the news story stated it was a half-century! :o

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. No €, every country had their own coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

Plus, we needed passports to travel between European countries. No passport, no entry!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the late 60's and early 70's all we needed for border crossings was our military ID, but if you had a short/short hair cut, they didn't ask many times and let us through. I crossed so many borders that just leaned over and looked in the car and waved us on.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

We take this for granted. Lincoln is still on our Cent, Jefferson on our Nickel. And we still use dollars and cents.

But many of these countries don't even use the same currency systems as previously. Our Dollars and Cents system has been remarkably stable and resilient over the past two centuries while other countries have seen multiple systemic collapses and many different currencies and systems.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@jesbroken said:
    In the late 60's and early 70's all we needed for border crossings was our military ID, but if you had a short/short hair cut, they didn't ask many times and let us through. I crossed so many borders that just leaned over and looked in the car and waved us on.
    Jim

Us long haired DoD civilians needed passports. 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Red passports.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file