Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Modern Counterfeits

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at my bank yesterday and noticed a fifty laying on the desk. I asked my teller what it was, as it looks torn up. She said that it is a fake, made by bleaching a $5 bill, then printing a fifty on it. The gold markings were brown, and the ink didn't stand up, but the pen that they use for authentication said it is real, because it it a real five. I was wondering if anyone had any stories or pictures of counterfeits of modern notes to share. Also any links relating to known or even valuable fakes would be appreciated.

Note: the fifty was a 2013 series B-B block.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 9:28PM

One of my brothers managed a large metal recycling yard and he went on a bank run every morning to get cash to pay recyclers. He found this $20 and thought it looked a bit different from the others. He knew I collect paper money so he sent it to me for my opinion. The note is minus both the security strip and the watermark. It feels normal but lacks detail in the engraved portions.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 6:59AM

The rounded corners caught my eye right after the lack of detail and weak colors.

I'll bet it's a $1 that has been washed and reprinted (non-intaglio) by a counterfeiter.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.