Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting slab error

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭

First time we've seen one of these. The slab is 100% intact.

Comments

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice error holder. First time for me too!

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    How did CAC give it a thorough review? 🤔

Hmmm. Excellent question.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool. I've never seen one like it.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen that before. Interesting.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a first for me as well and is interesting for sure

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although the slab is "100% intact" a few of these back in the day were not sealed correctly and would pop apart. It is more possible that is the case here rather than the idea this passed NGC's quality control.

peacockcoins

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Although the slab is "100% intact" a few of these back in the day were not sealed correctly and would pop apart. It is more possible that is the case here rather than the idea this passed NGC's quality control.

Totally agree. I remember many years ago cracking out a couple of coins in those old no-line fatty NGC slabs by putting the slab in a padded vice and slowly squeezing it. The slab separated at the seam resulting in two perfect shell halves. In one case the slab held a dingy Saint with a brown spot that was growing. I dipped and rinsed that Saint and the spot was gone and it had blast luster and looked at least one grading point better. I put it back in the slab and cemented the two shell halves back together using clear acrylic nail polish. The shells fit together perfectly and it's impossible to tell that it was ever opened. I don't think for one minute that coin got through NGC's quality control like that. Also, I can't imagine CAC stickering such a coin without a clear view of the reverse.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

MadMarty had a couple of these return from PCGS with the shells lose and they popped apart.
    I wouldn't know how to find that older thread- yet he showed both halves of the PCGS slab.

I can't imagine NGC was better at sealing these than PCGS was/is.

When I see coins/slabs like this I always think:

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.
    The simplest, most common, or most obvious explanation for something is most likely the correct one."

peacockcoins

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a rotated die error, you should get it slabbed

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was CAC's chance to pull a funny and put a sticker right over the coin

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 7:36AM

@braddick said:
    MadMarty had a couple of these return from PCGS with the shells lose and they popped apart.
    I wouldn't know how to find that older thread- yet he showed both halves of the PCGS slab.

I can't imagine NGC was better at sealing these than PCGS was/is.

When I see coins/slabs like this I always think:

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.
    The simplest, most common, or most obvious explanation for something is most likely the correct one."

I have seen several people in the last few years show some PCGS slabs that came back unsealed. So it still happens.

As far as this NGC slab, I’m not sure if this was unsealed or actually sealed this way. Regardless, it was bid up over $900 on a Facebook auction (either 925 or 950-there was some debate about the time stamp). So multiple people were convinced enough to bid strong.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen this before. Definitely Neat.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 9:07AM

When I was a grader at NGC, for purposes of quality control, I spent part of each day
    checking the coins after they’d been sealed. Among other things, I looked for: any errors in the grading label information, particles in the holders, coins that weren’t in the proper position, coins that looked as if they might have been graded too high or too low and holders that weren’t sealed.

I remember two days in particular. The first was one in which several groups of just-holdered coins were brought to me in the grading room for review and turned out not to have been sealed. There were enough, such that each time a new group was brought to me, the first thing I did was pull on the holders to make sure they were properly sealed. Only after that, did I focus on the grading labels and the coins, themselves.
    The second day was one during which, mixed in with a group of newly-sealed coins brought to me, was a freshly sealed roach. That most pleasant surprise was courtesy of my pals in the sealing room, having some fun with me.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file