Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should I get the date added to a PCGS-holdered error, and can it be done at a show?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2024 2:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought the coin below a couple of years ago as a 196X (that's how the date is written on the slab). The more I've looked at it, the more I'm fully convinced it's a 1968. While on the Lincoln obverse side the last digit is a blob, on the other side, there's a curve in the C of CENT which looks (to me) like the upper left side of an 8 to the lower right side of an 8. The only digits that have curvature and no straight lines in the middle are 6, 8, and 9 (and 3, but it's clad, so post-1964). For a 6, the curve on the left side would go down, and for a 9, the curve on the right side would go up. I think it has to be an 8.

With that said, I emailed PCGS shortly after I got the coin and asked if they could confirm they agreed with me, and if so, if the coin could be reholdered in a 1968-dated slab. The exchange became a frustrating mix of form letter "we can't assess a coin unless you submit it" and "a PCGS dealer can help you understand what coins you have." Finally I thought I explained what I was asking and they said they'd check, and then I never heard anything again.

I don't have any plans to sell the coin, and to that end I don't want to put much money into reholdering it. I'll be at the ANA in a few months and thought doing it at a show could help save at least on the shipping costs. Of course, if I submit it there and then it needs to go through months of review, it won't save me that much. So my two questions:

1- Does anyone know of a way to get this change "approved" so to speak ahead of the show so they can just confirm it's the same coin and reholder it there (assuming they agree with my assessment)

2- Again, assuming I'm right about the 8, would this be considered an error on their part (it should have been holdered as a 1968, not a 196X) where the reholder might be free, or would I really be looking at $25 for the show reholder (whoa!) plus possibly the per-order fee on top of that? And if the latter, is it worth it? I have no plans to sell, but if I ever decide to, does the date confirmation add enough value to justify putting $25-35 into the coin?

From CoinFacts:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly an 8 on both dates

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if striking the smaller yet harder (than bronze) cupronickel dime would have left an odd impression in the dies?

Might be fun to find a matching Mint state dime with a cent clash mark.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lincoln bust is pre 69 also.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 2:10PM

@LanLord said:
    I wonder if striking the smaller yet harder (than bronze) cupronickel dime would have left an odd impression in the dies?

Might be fun to find a matching Mint state dime with a cent clash mark.

No, it could not have indented the die.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited May 29, 2024 2:11PM

The motto IN GOD WE TRUST proves it is a 1968. You may quote me to PCGS if you like.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would behoove you to get the 1968 full date on the label to increase the sale price of the coin when you go to sell it. This is a simple mechanical error submission (no charge), but pcgs won’t be able to fully do it at the ANA. I’m sure they will want to get the approval from Jon Sullivan before they change the label, which means a trip home to California first.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    It would behoove you to get the 1968 full date on the label to increase the sale price of the coin when you go to sell it. This is a simple mechanical error submission (no charge), but pcgs won’t be able to fully do it at the ANA. I’m sure they will want to get the approval from Jon Sullivan before they change the label, which means a trip home to California first.

Well, if it's at the ANA, maybe I can just get him to walk over and give his approval. Which gives me another idea... @SullivanNumismatics any thoughts on the best/most cost-effective next step?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even thou its probably a 1968 there is no clear last digit so I doubt that they will change it on the holder..

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

is the 8 from the dime in the lower half of the C?

@gumby1234 said:
    Even thou its probably a 1968 there is no clear last digit so I doubt that they will change it on the holder..

The date doesn’t need to be clear on a coin to be holdered as such, it just needs to be definitive based on what is known about the coin. Years ago I sent a Lincoln cent with brockage obliterating most of the obverse, and the coin has no date. I worked with someone who knows Lincolns really well and was able to prove the date based on visible die markers, and even though the coin has no date visible whatsoever, it’s in a holder that says 1973.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and yes.

I had a "no date" New Jersey quarter brockage in an "E11111 Various Various" holder that I had reholdered at a show to at least say 1999 on it. The mint mark wasn't there, so it's still in a Various Various holder, but the date's on it. Yours is much more obviously a 1968.

Various Various -- sounds like some Roman bureaucrat in charge of assorted stuff none of the governors really cared about.

@airplanenut said:

@gumby1234 said:

The date doesn’t need to be clear on a coin to be holdered as such, it just needs to be definitive based on what is known about the coin. Years ago I sent a Lincoln cent with brockage obliterating most of the obverse, and the coin has no date. I worked with someone who knows Lincolns really well and was able to prove the date based on visible die markers, and even though the coin has no date visible whatsoever, it’s in a holder that says 1973.

That one’s easy. A new reverse hub in 1973 doubled the size of the designer’s initials. My first published numismatic discovery. The 1974 hub reduced them back by about a third.

The 1968 obverse hub is unique for the way IN GOD WE TRUST crowds the rim. They fixed it in 1969.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is also the potential your asking price if it was fully dated might be realized just as is without all the added work on your part.
    Sometimes the selling price of these is all over the board and the right buyer wouldn't need you to jump through hoops.

peacockcoins

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭

A brief interjection - that's a super cool coin!

(I have no opinion on whether/how to change the label...)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

@braddick said:
    There is also the potential your asking price if it was fully dated might be realized just as is without all the added work on your part.
    Sometimes the selling price of these is all over the board and the right buyer wouldn't need you to jump through hoops.

I don't disagree, and that's where it would be much easier to stomach paying $10 than, say, $50. I'm not well versed in errors (I have few, and coins like this are just neat to me, not part of a broader collecting goal) but it seems that in general, when a date may or may not be present (clips and off-centers are great examples) the dated examples get a premium of some kind, maybe just because by probability fewer examples will have a date than won't. The crux of the question--and your second sentence--is what it takes to find that buyer. The buyer who doesn't require the hoops may be out there, but if there are a dozen other buyers ready to go if the work is done, the time savings could justify the work, even if in the end the price doesn't change. Or I just hold onto the coin for the rest of my life and it's not really my problem.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking this is anywhere between 1K and $1,500. coin (I don't know the grade).
    I also wonder how wrong I am!

peacockcoins

• Assuming it’s holdered as a 196X 1C, the dime date (full or partial) would have no bearing.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@braddick said:

I don't disagree, and that's where it would be much easier to stomach paying $10 than, say, $50. ...

I paid $20 at a show.

@usmnterorrs said:
    Assuming it’s holdered as a 196X 1C, the dime date (full or partial) would have no bearing.

I don't have a photo of the slab handy, but here's what's listed on the PCGS website, which should be what's on the slab:

@messydesk said:

@airplanenut said:

@braddick said:

I don't disagree, and that's where it would be much easier to stomach paying $10 than, say, $50. ...

I paid $20 at a show.

That's where the ancillary costs matter--show reholders are listed as $25, but if there's a submission fee ($8 or $10?) and then return shipping if they can't do it at the show, that cost can grow quickly. If they decide it's a mechanical error and do it for free and there's no shipping, that would be a total win.

@braddick said:
    I'm thinking this is anywhere between 1K and $1,500. coin (I don't know the grade).
    I also wonder how wrong I am!

As much as I'd like to point, laugh, and point out just how wrong you are, unfortunately for me you're right.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@usmnterorrs said:
    Assuming it’s holdered as a 196X 1C, the dime date (full or partial) would have no bearing.

I don't have a photo of the slab handy, but here's what's listed on the PCGS website, which should be what's on the slab:

@messydesk said:

@airplanenut said:

@braddick said:

I paid $20 at a show.

That's where the ancillary costs matter--show reholders are listed as $25, but if there's a submission fee ($8 or $10?) and then return shipping if they can't do it at the show, that cost can grow quickly. If they decide it's a mechanical error and do it for free and there's no shipping, that would be a total win.

This is definitely a mechanical error because it’s the coin’s dates that should absolutely be listed on the label. Just a simple fix that pcgs will take care of at no charge. No reholder fee or shipping fee or $10 fee. Trust me when I say that you’ll be doing yourself a favor by fixing the label now getting the 2 dates added (should read 1968 cent double denomination on struck 1968 dime). Nobody wants to purchase a problem label where they’re gonna have to go and get everything fixed with pcgs. You will achieve a much higher selling price when the time comes.

PS: don’t push the issue of trying to pressure Jon or pcgs to expedite this process at the ANA, it’s not gonna be an instant fix. I know from personal experience getting error coin labels corrected.

@1madman said:

@airplanenut said:

@usmnterorrs said:

@messydesk said:

@airplanenut said:

@braddick said:

I paid $20 at a show.

This is definitely a mechanical error because it’s the coin’s dates that should absolutely be listed on the label. Just a simple fix that pcgs will take care of at no charge. No reholder fee or shipping fee or $10 fee. Trust me when I say that you’ll be doing yourself a favor by fixing the label now getting the 2 dates added (should read 1968 cent double denomination on struck 1968 dime). Nobody wants to purchase a problem label where they’re gonna have to go and get everything fixed with pcgs. You will achieve a much higher selling price when the time comes.

PS: don’t push the issue of trying to pressure Jon or pcgs to expedite this process at the ANA, it’s not gonna be an instant fix. I know from personal experience getting error coin labels corrected.

I don’t think pressure is the right word to use—if it’s possible to do some of the work ahead of time or at the show and that makes it possible for things to go faster, great. If not—especially if a delay doesn’t cost me anything—no biggie. I suppose my thinking was that if the photos are enough to identify everything (as opposed to, say, needing to do a metal analysis in hand), then at the show it could be as easy as confirming the coin I bring is indeed the same one in the photos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file