Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay Completed Items Search

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble now finding how to search completed items on ebay?

With a page design change a few days ago, my capability to do this seems to have disappeared. Dis anyone else notice the same? I can't find how to search completed items in their FAQ or Help Center, either.

This is a very useful feature for researching how to price your own material for sale on Ebay, so why would they want to take this away? Perhaps they plan on monetizing the sale of this information? I hope not.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been doing it all day. I don't see any changes.

The only new feature I see is the ability to search back 3 years instead of 3 months.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 4:47AM

Nope, I just checked by searching for Lincoln cent MS RD DDO FS-102 and sold items comes up with a number of sales over the recent past. Just run a search for the item, don't select one and go down the left side and click sold items.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not having the trouble you are.

But occasionally ebay does mess with me in another way. Sometimes when I try to look up sold items, ebay gives me page saying something like... ' sorry but this item has sold, but perhaps you will like this item instead ', and then shows another one up for sale. Then it keeps doing that for multiple times. Probably some AI thing, trying to get me to buy something, when all I want is to find out what something is selling for. Frustrating.... stop it ebay!

----- kj
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could my problem be that I'm still in the internet Dark Ages, using my laptop? Are you all accessing it through a phone app? Maybe they only eliminated this function if you are accessing the site using PC software?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@sellitstore said:
    Could my problem be that I'm still in the internet Dark Ages, using my laptop? Are you all accessing it through a phone app? Maybe they only eliminated this function if you are accessing the site using PC software?

I'm on a desktop

edited May 29, 2024 11:28AM

Where would the link for completed auctions be in this screen shot? It used to be on the left side.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 12:02PM

@sellitstore said:
    Where would the link for completed auctions be in this screen shot? It used to be on the left side.

NOT my area of expertise. But, I think it would be:

1) "All Filters" (tool bar)

2) "Show only"

3) "Completed Items"

4) "Apply"

Edited to add screenshots.

edited May 30, 2024 5:55AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'll bet that it would work with the Half Cent page that I used for a screenshot but I'm not seeing an "All Filters" option on the obsolete currency page, where I have always been able to search completed auctions before. This might explain why nobody on the coin side here is seeing this problem. Previously, there had been a "Completed Auction" option on a menu at left. No longer for this category.

It would appear that some of the currency categories have this same issue while others don't. Has anyone noticed this loss of ability to search some of the smaller categories under coins?

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all of my canned (saved) searches, I have the complete menu of filter options on the left. If I do a new search via "Shop by Category", I do not see the complete filtering menu. Irritating for sure. All of my canned searches have additional filtering that I have entered in the search bar, so maybe there is something with that option that triggers the page to show the menu on the left.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 9:20AM

Not sure how you are accessing eBay pages (e.g., via the "Shop by Category" menu).

However, when I enter "US Obsolete Currency" directly into the search bar on eBay on a desktop computer, I get the familiar filter options on the left side of the screen.

What do you get when you type "US Obsolete Currency" directly into the search bar on eBay?

Edited to Add:
    Simply attempting to identify a 'fix'.

Based on the two examples presented here, it appears that if a page does not automatically display the traditional filter options on the left side, one can prompt it by 'copying & pasting' the category header into the search field (e.g., "US Half Cent", and "US Obsolete Currency").

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

That is illogical. I can always do just as much, if not more, on a computer.

Vplite99

@vplite99 said:

@sellitstore said:

That is illogical. I can always do just as much, if not more, on a computer.

This is not always true. For example, the functionality of WhatNot is very different in the app relative to the computer. There are things you can only do in the app.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@sellitstore said:

I'm on a desktop

Hit the advanced just right of the blue search box.

@rte592 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sellitstore said:

I'm on a desktop

Hit the advanced just right of the blue search box.

I'm not the one having the issue.

@MetroD Yes, this fix works for me.

I've been accessing from a bookmark and only been getting the top menu at left, but the cut and paste worked and I now get all of the options at left. The top menu is still subcategories and if I click on "obsolete currency" in that menu, I still get the "completed auctions" option at left. This way I eliminate non obsolete listings with the word "obsolete" in them.

The blue search box brings up the advanced search which does have a completed option but you need to search a term or seller and can't just look at completed auctions for a whole category.

I have found functionality to generally be better on PCs and always presumed that screen size influenced how many options could be presented but there are quirks and exceptions.

A sincere thanks to all who have taken the time to try to answer this question, even if you didn't post. I hope that it will help others who face this problem in Ebay's constantly evolving website.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file