Home U.S. Coin Forum

On the Topic of Strange Buffalo Nickels- here are two that have puzzled me

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this first one, a 1916 is a contemporary counterfeit. The skinny shape of the Buffalo and the head of the Indian
are 'tells'.

The copper cent/nickel has me a bit perplexed.
Although I just chalk it up to being a counterfeit too.

peacockcoins

Comments

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

I think the 1916 nickel is real, just heavily circulated.

The "error" cent appears to be a vice job PMD.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2024 3:01PM

The Buffalo Nickel is definitely a counterfeit, look at the Buffalos underbelly.
    The second coin has been manufactured to look like an error.
    There is no way it left the mint looking like that.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about that copper cent/nickel but I like it! I'm wondering if ICG would slab it as a counterfeit error?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    The 'skinny buffalo' is a known counterfeit- I've cherrypicked several examples over the years. Note also the die crack from the rim through the second feather, and the missing designer's initial. Ron Pope told me the reverse can be found on a couple of other dates as well, but I've only ever seen it on 1916-S.

Here's one of mine:

For some reason I have a hard time passing on these coins when I see them. Now have at least a half dozen. I may have a problem.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another cool thing I have learned via this forum! Thanks for the info...

K

ANA LM
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    The 'skinny buffalo' is a known counterfeit- I've cherrypicked several examples over the years. Note also the die crack from the rim through the second feather, and the missing designer's initial. Ron Pope told me the reverse can be found on a couple of other dates as well, but I've only ever seen it on 1916-S.

Here's one of mine:

I think it was your post on a prior thread a year or two ago that led me to pick one of these up on ebay.

I always have a little trouble identifying the "skinny buffalo" (maybe he's just been working out - maybe he's just "buff"), but I remind myself that the regular buffalo has a belly line that noticeably slopes down toward the front of the buffalo. Also, the area under the skinny one reminds me of a heart shape.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent/nickel hybrid appears to be a genuine Lincoln cent with an impression from a false Bison die.
    Things like this were made by a known coin person (NOT me) and there was a thread about it here some years ago, but I can't find it.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 2:31PM

@dcarr said:
    The cent/nickel hybrid appears to be a genuine Lincoln cent with an impression from a false Bison die.
    Things like this were made by a known coin person (NOT me) and there was a thread about it here some years ago, but I can't find it.

Just found it (go to page 3, about half way down):
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13331548#Comment_13331548

From that other thread:

@dcarr said:

@braddick said:
    I picked these up a couple of days ago. I would have missed them had it not been for opening the "is this a proof half-cent" thread and then check the seller's other listings.
    (Seller's photos)
    I look forward to all of them arriving.

I saw those and thought about buying them, just for the "weirdness".
    But I did buy the possible proof 1855 large cent and these two oddities that I saw listed just prior by the same seller (seller's pictures):

1935 "six-cent piece":

1831 Bust Quarter silver "cob":

The seller stated the following information about them:
    "Impressive fantasy creation of late Massachusetts numismatist Scott Barker. Please note, this is a fantasy issue made for collectors, not a US mint issue."

One similar item that was offered in the group was struck on a US 1990 zinc cent. So I would assume that all of these were made around 1990 or later.

I had never heard of "Massachusetts numismatist Scott Barker" before.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file