Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Latest Pickup - 1923 $5 Silver Certificate

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 28, 2024 9:09AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

After picking up my first notes a couple years ago... $1000 and $500, I pick some up here and there but usually nothing special. I'm always on the lookout for something that grabs my attention. Since then, I have picked up a mid grade 1922 gold certificate, several horse blankets(love giving these out as gifts) and some obsolete notes.
Stopped into my favorite shop last week and this one really grabbed my attention. This shop is more than an hour drive away from where I live. So, on the way home, I just couldn't stop thinking about it and as I was about 10 minutes from home, I had to call them and tell them to put it back for me. I knew I would regret if I passed it up. Also, I needed to make sure the wife wasn't going to divorce me when I told her what I had committed to. She was ok with it, lol.

I'll post better scans when I go pick it up this week.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Beautiful 🎵 note

MIKE B.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful example of a Porthole note. Thanks for sharing @PROMETHIUS88 .

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very scarce type in superb condition. Nice addition to any collection. Congratulations.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Thanks! Honestly, I didn't know how scarce it was until I started researching the series. Figured there had to be a little more to it considering the price tag, lol. Although, I think I'm getting a pretty darn good deal.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful note. You did good.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice note, I like 👍

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Thanks! Honestly, I didn't know how scarce it was until I started researching the series. Figured there had to be a little more to it considering the price tag, lol. Although, I think I'm getting a pretty darn good deal.

Indian chiefs are more popular but this one is far tougher to find, especially this nice, even though they were issued after the chiefs-many fewer were issued.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2024 3:31PM

Ok, so jumped the gun on my excitement a bit. When I went to pick up the note on Saturday, I looked at the back and saw "tears". Holding up to the light I did see 2 very small tears on the left edge looking on the reverse. Still, very difficult to see. All week I was wondering why the note wasn't EPQ. I'm so used to cards and coins and anything like that is listed on the front of the flip.
    Either way, I went ahead with the purchase. It's a tough note and still has great eye appeal.

Oh yeah, I originally thought the tear was on the top border looking from the back but it's just heavy fibers.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable.
    It sounds like you just implied that you bought this expensive note before seeing scans of the back of the note and holder. A very valuable lesson can be learned from this…

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Unbelievable.
    It sounds like you just implied that you bought this expensive note before seeing scans of the back of the note and holder. A very valuable lesson can be learned from this…

No, I saw the note in person and looked at the back when I was at the shop the first time. Honestly, I was paying more attention to the note than the holder and overlooked it. Pretty rookie mistake, I will admit.
    The tears are so small, I didn't even notice them and wouldn't have noticed without holding up to a bright light. As I said, the tipoff should have been that the note wasn't epq.

For me, in currency, everything is a lesson at this time. This time, it didn't cost me anything due to the price, but it could be a very costly mistake in the future! Just have to slow down and pay closer attention!