Home U.S. Coin Forum

This coin blows my mind

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just looking through a box of Morgan's. I haven't posted anything in a while so I wanted to share this with whoever interested.
I did a guess the grade a while back.
I cannot believe this coin graded an MS65.
It looks like a 66 maybe a 66+. It's super clean everywhere. Nothing hiding. Awesome cheek.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the rim issues holds it back.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they may have "net" graded it for the rim bump at 2:00 on the reverse

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not usually a proponent of dipping coins, but this coin has a layer of haze which I think contributes negatively to it, and could be holding it back.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

They see so many of these in the common dates, the coin really has to be all there to get a high grade.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for comparison sake-

Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it for sale at MS65 pricing? If so, where and I will purchase it immediately.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is neat to compare these with other 1885-O Morgans PCGS has graded:

Here are the responses to your GTG on this Morgan dollar. It appears most agree with you!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1097575/1885-o-morgan-gtg-revealed/p1

peacockcoins

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the luster isn't there for a 66 or + but I can't imagine the reverse rim ding is holding it back, unless the TV is hiding its severity.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2024 5:34PM

@logger7 said:
    They see so many of these in the common dates, the coin really has to be all there to get a high grade.

I don’t believe that’s true. It also doesn’t make sense from a guarantee perspective. Compare a typical common date against a 92-S or 93-S in the same grade. The key dates will very likely be nicer. I agree that this doesn’t seem to be true with absolute rarities (think 1804 dollars or 1870-S $3) that seem to be liberally given straight-grade passes or overgraded though. Of course, in those cases the absolute grade doesn’t really matter, only the relative ranking.

There are just so many more common dates that there will be outliers high and low.

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭

...and such a SOLID STRIKE, ESP. for a NAWLINS mint specimen.......

TC71

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be a candidate for a regrade.

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

it doesn't have the 66 luster look. I see some dark spots on the reverse bottom rim that might mean a prior dipping hence not the booming luster that I would want for a 66. Again seeing the coin in hand might change my mind.

Easton Collection
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 4:09AM

I like it as a 66 for the Date/MM

Edited to add: Sell it to me B)

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@anablep said:
    Maybe the luster isn't there for a 66 or + but I can't imagine the reverse rim ding is holding it back, unless the TV is hiding its severity.

I have had coins bodybagged for rim dings like that.

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

People always want a higher grade than what they get, seems to me that is why there are third party graders. MS65 it is.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW how do you know that this coin has been previously dipped, check out the dirt in the denticles at 5:30 on the reverse, they couldn't get it out or they missed it during the wash

This coin has pristine surfaces. Nice original fields and frost devices.
    I would be honest and admit a problem if I saw it.
    I do not belive this coin has ever been dipped.
    I think the true view image really answers many questions.

Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Judging by the TV, nice coin, should be a 66 or higher. A lot of the 66 Morgans I have seen do not look as good.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack it out and send it in again. That's what I would do if I thought I had an under-graded coin.

Collector, occasional seller

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clean cheek? Yes. But it also has a big fingerprint below the bust (first thing I saw), some bumps on the rim at 2:00 on both sides, and the fields look a bit hazy, but my read of the photos doesn't say it's necessarily an original skin. There is faint toning inside the rim on part of the obverse and then deep color between just a few dentils on the reverse; I wouldn't be surprised if the coin was dipped and that color came later. I'd rather see it in hand, but I can certainly see reasons for limiting the grade, and the fingerprint especially makes it a coin I'd pass on.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    This coin has pristine surfaces. Nice original fields and frost devices.
    I would be honest and admit a problem if I saw it.
    I do not belive this coin has ever been dipped.
    I think the true view image really answers many questions.

You just cannot attest to its originality since you haven't had it since it was minted. You need to understand that fact, then add the second fact that there is black between the denticles at 5:30 on the reverse and that proves that black was removed by somebody over the years. The only way to safely remove it is via a dip. Then lastly add the fact that there is the remenents of a finger print at 5:00 on the obv showing the surfaces have been mishandled and either the dip removed some or the print or it toned after the dip, either way that nullifies the pristine surfaces too.
    The above proves that the coin isn't original with pristine surfaces.
    That being said it is still a nice high grade example but one can also see that ownership adds a point and owners see what they want to see and don't see what they don't want to see.
    Some would not want this piece because of the above and wait for an example that doesn't have these issues and some would be fine with it.

edited May 31, 2024 11:20AM

Super clean cameo on a semi prooflike coin. That's what I love about this coin. Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are awesome. That's why I enjoy this forum!
    I have no plans to sell it or sending it in for reconsideration. The eye appeal is awesome. So I will enjoy this coin for what it is.
    It's a common date.
    Love that cheek.

Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file