Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

US Mexican Numismatic conventions?

Do you find that when attending this show you are able to add much to your collection? Do they have many early pillars from Peru & Guatemala? Is the material pretty much new every year? Are these dealers able to help collectors fins material they need? I imagine 8 reales are the most available denomination?

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apart from going (costly for someone in my financial bracket but may one day make the trip) there in person how would one make contact with the dealers and send a want list if that is even possible?

Anyone?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 2:50PM

Call world numismatics

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, USMEX is one of very few shows in the world that I would attend even if I knew in advance that I wouldn’t buy or sell a single coin. The others are NYINC, the ANA WFM, and Coinex.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Thanks

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 4:46PM

I'd rate the chances of finding the coins you're asking about at any coin show in any volume as really low.

I've only been to the ANA Worlds Fair of Money (once or twice) of those listed here, but most of the coins in my collection came from auctions, with eBay second, and dealer direct purchases last. (Some overlap between eBay and dealers). This is for all pillars, but my collection is mostly Peru and Bolivia.

I've bought more from Heritage than any other source, though lately I've had a lot more success at Stacks. (Last five years or so.)

In the quality and price range you've indicated you collect, some dealers might have it not listed on their website. Unlikely, but possible.

I asked World Numismatics that question once but they never answered. Otherwise, to my knowledge, they have had one Peru 1R in inventory in the 10-15 years I've checked their site. It was a 1756 NGC MS-61 which I did buy. I don't recall them offering Guatemala 1R, only 8s.

If you're thinking of making a trip to this convention specifically to look for these coins, I'd never do that unless you have other reasons for going.

WCC:

Thanks I keep my funds in that case and not attend that show or any shows. I would go if I was richer just to attend and talk to other collectors but I can't afford to do that just for the fun of it. I know I would learn a lot from the people there but with my financial situation I will simply just forget about the whole thing.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    WCC:

Thanks I keep my funds in that case and not attend that show or any shows. I would go if I was richer just to attend and talk to other collectors but I can't afford to do that just for the fun of it. I know I would learn a lot from the people there but with my financial situation I will simply just forget about the whole thing.

I intend to go to NYINC eventually just to check it out once, but also to inspect the ANS pillar collection at the same time. Also to FUN, but I can drive there and use hotel points as a side trip after visiting my sister's family in Orlando.

Otherwise, I have no plans to ever pay for a coin trip like that. It's a waste of money given my collecting goals.