Home U.S. Coin Forum

1936 Mercury Dime Proof NEWP

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2024 5:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This series has been on my radar for a long time but have not had the opportunity to acquire one. Finally, the right circumstances which were having some money set aside and the right coin coming up. This coin came across the auction block this weekend and I jumped on it. CAC liked it as a 65. I thought it was good for the grade as well in addition to a decent obverse/reverse strike and nice surfaces. I do wonder if it has been dipped in the past and lightly retoned vs. original toning. I have shared both the GC images and Trueview images. The goal is now to complete the rest of the short proof series, now that the "key" is checked off!

Comments

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Locking the key down first must feel like a head start. The toning (shown best by the reverse TrueView) looks consistent with the way these toned in their original packaging, so I vote no dip.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a nice pickup! That one was on my radar too, but I spent all my coin money earlier this month, so I had to sit out this auction.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks original to me. Nice start to the set! The rest will be easier.

Collector, occasional seller

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, great collecting niche and I don't think it was dipped.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks original to me. Very nice! It’s funny, a Proof Mercury set has been on my radar as well. Have yet to pull the trigger, as I like to see Proofs in person. I’ll be looking hard for them at the next major show I attend.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great pick up!
    That should be a fun little set to put together. B)

• remumcremumc Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

That's a really pretty 42 proof Keyman!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite set! Nice pickup, I started the same way with the 1936. I'm down to 2 coins left (the 37 and 39) just waiting for the right coins to come by. I've been working on this set for 3 years now and saw your new coin on GC.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I finished this set last year, too, With the '36 out of the way it's all smooth sailing. Enjoy.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file