Home U.S. Coin Forum

My latest upgrade $3 Gold to the 12pc Gold Set!

ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that did not see the $3 poll recently, at the risk of running this subject into the ground :#

I am very proud to show my latest upgrade!
I did trade my 1868 $3 plus a couple of other inexpensive coins to make the deal happen…

I never expected to have this particular denomination in a true mint state grade. I figured the $3 and T2 dollar would remain the only slider AU58 coins.

I was OK with that, because they were both nice coins anyway, but when this one came along, and I knew that it was within reach, I had to jump on the opportunity!

I have always wanted a $3 in mint state. And MS64 fits the set beautifully! Now that I have done this, I definitely plan to get the T2 dollar in MS64.

It will be a while before that happens, but I do want to do that at some point now. Getting the three dollar really pushed me over and now I feel like I must do it!

My resources are very limited, so it will be a big purchase for me, but I do want to do it at some point…

Anyway, enough talking… Here’s the coin. B)

https://youtube.com/shorts/Nyg_9eckXqA?si=mYVT8Se2rb9r2gmp

Post your $3 gold and/or Type 2 Gold Dollars in this thread!

Comments

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Terry. Looks like a keeper. Perhaps some closer shots with more detail.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    Congrats Terry. Looks like a keeper. Perhaps some closer shots with more detail.

I do plan to get some closer shots…
    For the time being. I just have the slab shots, but I’ll definitely pull this thread when I have some better close-ups! 👍

And thank you for the compliment!

@Downtown1974 I was envious of your $3 being mint state!
    It’s a very nice looking coin with a great TrueView! I did not recall your T2 dollar also being MS62… 😦

Those are both excellent coins!

And thank you for the compliment as well!

edited May 26, 2024 7:15PM

@Downtown1974
    Do you have a current group shot of your 12 piece set?

If so, please post it here! B)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.

@Downtown1974
    You’ve done great with that set! I will say this is the funnest set I’ve ever built and here, over seven years later, I’m still upgrading. 👍

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

The $3 looks GREAT!
    The set looks amazing. Nice work!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 54 is a beauty! These are best I have for a type. I prefer better dates for type

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

A your 1854 ngc ms64 is superb

I really do appreciate the kind words everybody!

Thank you!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice $3.

Finding a type 2 G$1 in a particular grade range is challenging. Finding a truly nice one...... well, I came close a time or two, but I never truly found one that fit my taste/desires/budget.

@BryceM said:
    Really nice $3.

Finding a type 2 G$1 in a particular grade range is challenging. Finding a truly nice one...... well, I came close a time or two, but I never truly found one that fit my taste/desires/budget.

Looking just for fun yesterday, I realize this will be a challenge pricewise and finding one I like…

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks identical to a 64 iI recently submitted for crossover. DNC, but nobody will convince me it isn’t solid for the grade, like yours. Beautiful !

HE>I

Where I do prefer PCGS, NGC is fine if it’s graded solidly and the holder is in good shape. A bonus being an earlier holder 1st one after the no-line fatty This is one of my favorite NGC holders. She will stay put as long as I own her. B)

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    For those that did not see the $3 poll recently, at the risk of running this subject into the ground :#

I am very proud to show my latest upgrade!
    I did trade my 1868 $3 plus a couple of other inexpensive coins to make the deal happen…

I never expected to have this particular denomination in a true mint state grade. I figured the $3 and T2 dollar would remain the only slider AU58 coins.

I was OK with that, because they were both nice coins anyway, but when this one came along, and I knew that it was within reach, I had to jump on the opportunity!

I have always wanted a $3 in mint state. And MS64 fits the set beautifully! Now that I have done this, I definitely plan to get the T2 dollar in MS64.

It will be a while before that happens, but I do want to do that at some point now. Getting the three dollar really pushed me over and now I feel like I must do it!

My resources are very limited, so it will be a big purchase for me, but I do want to do it at some point…

Anyway, enough talking… Here’s the coin. B)

Very nice. CNGRTS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@blitzdude Thank you! 👍

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! That is a lovely $3.00 coin!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

…… there is a really nice type two gold dollar in PCGS 58+ CAC in John Agre’s early bird today. There was another in 58 but it’s already on hold. Not my coins, and I have no vested interest in them. It’s pretty rare for two nice examples to suddenly appear like that.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

And there are 2 1854 type 2 at GC closing next week, AU58 CACs

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its been a pleasure watching your Gold type set come together and upgrade.

I really like the new $3 in 64 , Congrats @asheland

It's all about what the people want...

Thanks everybody! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file