Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Reminded not to put certified notes in case in sun

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the Stormville flea market in NY today. A fellow showed me two notes he had sent in to PCGS to have certified; a Bison note graded VF20 and a Woodchopper graded as a VF30. Unfortunately he had both of them out in a glass case before in the sun which cause the PCGS certified notes to crinkle and get very likely damaged. PCGS currency will not honor guarantees on items that have been damaged due to bad environmental conditions.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s unfortunate. What was he thinking ?
    I’m not certain, but the notes may survive the crinkling. It’s folding that would worry me.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2024 6:10PM

There are two problems one of the other dealers said on holders that get sun scorched in cases; the notes get deformed and cannot be made to be flat plus the plastic breaks down and affects the paper.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 10:55AM

Sound advice, why wreck a good thing, jmo

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2024 5:46AM

I bought a $1 Educational about 40 years ago at Stormville in the worst grade that I had seen for $4. Sold it to a friend who just showed it to me again for the first time in four decades. It wasn't quite as bad as I had remembered. Perhaps I hadn't seen enough low grade notes at that point to understand that worse was possible.

But sorry for the off topic diversion. Sunlight is especially deadly when combined with vinyl holders. Many notes have become oily and the colored seals tend to bleed through the backs. Not sure if there is a way to remove or stabilize the oily residue but once the colors run the damage is done.

I passed on Stormville this time even though I live only 10 minutes away. Too much effort with too little potential but lightening can strike anywhere, anytime. Hope that you found something worthwhile, Logger.

Interestingly, it wasn't a particularly stormy place but rather named for the Storm family. A "Storm" signed notes for a nearby bank, Middle District Bank of Poughkeepsie, who likely was part of this family.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cringe at banknotes cooking in display cases at flea markets. I find myself suggesting propping open cases just because.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon