Home U.S. Coin Forum

1932-D Washington Quarter – AU/BU – Showing Off & Questions About Conservation

Greetings!

I recently purchased this 1932-D Washington Quarter – I just wanted to show it off and get some community input on conservation.

Obverse

20240525-180054

20240525-211156

20240525-181747

PICT1115

PICT1062

PICT1070

PICT1103

PICT1107

PICT1114

20240525-162327

Reverse

#
20240525-180130
#
20240525-182042
#
20240525-182102
#
20240525-182112
#
PICT1078
#

Okay – enough showing it off – here's my concern... You will see in the gallery below that there is some black substance sitting atop the coin surface. I suspect and hope that this substance can be removed, but I'm looking for some community input before I do anything myself or send it to someone else...

PICT1095
#

In addition to the black substance, there are several places that may be damaged. I'm not certain if these (shown below) are die gouges, dings, damage, or something else... My optimism wants to believe that these are die gouges that attracted extra tarnish – they are all raised and all approximately the same size.

PICT1099
#
PICT1123
#
PICT1154
#
PICT1143
#
PICT1149

Any input appreciated! TIA!

Comments

• An album with additional pictures can be viewed here: https://ibb.co/album/7J251j

• @MFeld said:
    The coin looks AU (not AU/BU) and my guess is that it would be best to leave it, as is.

Thanks, Mark! Do you think it would grade straight as is? Worth sending in?

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any luster left? I wonder if XF.

Acetone could not hurt it and might get off some looser crud.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is similar to Mark's regarding this coin. It appears to be a lightly circulated AU with "original" surfaces that likely won't clean up well if you sent it in to get stripped down. If you do have it worked on then it might return to you with an odd appearance. I own a very similar 1932 WQ that I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away and the coin I have sat for decades in a dresser drawer and toned up just like yours. Mine is raw.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• @davewesen said:
    Is there any luster left? I wonder if XF.

Acetone could not hurt it and might get off some looser crud.

Yes, lots of luster in my opinion. Video linked below.

VIDEO: https://youtube.com/shorts/yewctJf5sEU?si=FiOu4rKAXDRZ9yNW

That's kind of what what I was thinking, too – Acetone or Xylene only. Soak it for a couple hours and see what comes off...

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't throw good money after bad. Just leave it as it is and sell it if you can't live with the "look". Don't try to "improve" it as it may look even worse than it does now. That thick, dark, mottled toning is something to avoid in the future.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had zero luck experimenting with cleaning, uhhhhh - I mean conserving, coins just like this. (Much lower value of course). Acetone usually won’t do much of anything. MS70 may have an effect but could just lighten the black somewhat to a faded black. Dip will likely not remove all the black and will leave a pale/medium gray in its place, which will clearly indicate a dipping. This may turn off purists. I think you’re stuck with it as is my friend.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with above, AU coin, the darker toning spots will come off in conservation, but the black heavy crustations not sure. It might ruin the coin trying to get those off, and then would be better off left alone, although unsightly in the eye-appeal dept. Try it, not worth that much , most of those conservation services will evaluate first if they think they can help with detriment.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2024 1:29PM

Coins looks fine to me the way it is - like others said, soak in Acetone to get rid of “looser” crud and PVC (it may have lived in a vinyl flip in the past) then grade it as is.

• Don't get me wrong - I do like it as is!

Appreciate everyone's input. I'll probably leave it for now.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

** Okay – enough showing it off **

Don’t worry about showing off on this forum.
    There are plenty of big boy coins posted every day!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has character and whether natural or environmental: it’s crusty and mottled.

HE>I

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is......think of it having an "original" look.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely an example of a "what's under the toning?" game.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

There is a chemist on the forum - sapth(?) or something. Perhaps a member knows him and can tell him about this thread. The coin looks terminally corroded to me. I guess you bought it because you liked it or it was inexpensive. I'd trade out of it and buy another that will increase in price over the years.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2024 9:34PM

What a mottled junk box crap piece. Looks like heavily corroded, spotted circ XF / AU. Just put in 2x2 for an album otherwise ……..got a glass of kool aid for u.

Better leave as is.

Coins & Currency
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the left field , in front of the bridge of the nose it appears there are 3 letters DPC that are also toned

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many photos for me, enjoy your coin.

LCoopie = Les
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    What a mottled junk box crap piece. Looks like heavily corroded, spotted circ XF / AU. Just put in 2x2 for an album otherwise ……..got a glass of kool aid for u.

Better leave as is.

Tell us how you really feel

@Cougar1978 said:

Better leave as is.

Wow, go easy on the guy. The truth hurts; yet a gentle, sugar-coated, answer might teach him more.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 11:26AM

Tell us how you intend to sell it.

With its unattractive toning can’t see it bringing much off the bourse. How much do you plan to discount it to move it? Have you shopped it around a show? Perhaps Start it on the bay at 99c plus shipping. I would blow it out and get a nice slabbed silver 1oz Mexico Onza Libertad (s) PCGS Ms 69 or 70 if it actually brings something.

Coins & Currency
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of the coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@MFeld said:

@Married2Coins said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Better leave as is.

Wow, go easy on the guy. The truth hurts; yet a gentle, sugar-coated, answer might teach him more.

That reply wasn’t particularly accurate. Hopefully, the OP will pay more attention to other, more helpful posts.

What has been said about the coin by a few of us is true. I call a dog a dog. There is just a nicer way of conveying that fact. I used the words, "terminally corroded."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file