Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1561 Elizabeth I Ireland 1S S-6505

Just added this to my collection, 1561 Elizabeth I Ireland Shilling. A tough coin to find and even tougher in a decent grade. I've read that these Ireland shillings were made poorly, compared to the English ones but who knows. Very happy to have this.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition, at least it has some sort of portrait.

• Options
    Apollo_23Apollo_23 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:

Yes, the portrait is not terrible. Most of these Ireland coins were not struck the best.

• Options

Pictures and grade from NGC

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Curious what grade was assigned 🙂

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

@Bailathacl said:
    Curious what grade was assigned 🙂

Oh sorry. VF20. According to NGC, there are none graded higher then VF. They don't list the number though. As I mentioned, tough coin to find in general and even tougher is a decent grade. I am happy with it. Thought it would be F15.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Seems reasonable, they likely took the poor strike in to account in letting it grade at VF. Great pick up.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

@Bailathacl said:
    Seems reasonable, they likely took the poor strike in to account in letting it grade at VF. Great pick up.

Perhaps and I am not sure if that was a good or bad thing lol.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:

I like it. That was the first thing I thought, too. Wow, Lizzie actually has a face and isn’t worn flat. Like the toning, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:

@bronzemat said:

I like it. That was the first thing I thought, too. Wow, Lizzie actually has a face and isn’t worn flat. Like the toning, too.

You can find good portraits. I have 2 Elizbaeth shillings, both from England graded XF45 and AU50. The portraits are strong. From everything I have been told, these Ireland shillings were very poorly struck.