Home Autographs Forum
Options

Autograph authentication for sell. PSA or BECKETT?

vaioys501vaioys501 Posts: 21
edited May 25, 2024 11:40PM in Autographs Forum

Autograph authentication for sell. PSA or BECKETT?
7 items Autograph authentication for sell.
PSA/DNA $ 1,128.50
BECKETT $ 1,195.00
Which company would you choose?

There are 2 more items.
I gave up on authenticating this.
The reason is because Jim Morrison's signature looks like fake (authentication fee $300 :'( )
Janis Joplin autograph is too blurry.
I would really appreciate your opinion on this.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beckett is the preferred one, than PSA.

• Options

@bronzemat said:
    Beckett is the preferred one, than PSA.

Thank you for your opinion.

• Options
    vaioys501vaioys501 Posts: 21
    edited May 26, 2024 10:31AM

Can an autograph grading service increase my selling price?
    Autograph grading for Jordan, QUEEN, Simon & Garfunkel costs several hundred dollars. Is it worth it?

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, it depends. Are you sure what you have are real? Jordan & Queen, it might be worth it, Simon & Garfunkel?, I don't know.

It's a gamble that only you want to see if it's worth risking. Me and several other posts here I talked to have seen autographs sell, get graded, and then end up selling for less than what they originally did, OR, they only made a very small profit, after ebay fees, shipping, grading fees and so on.

And I personally can't help authenticate any of those bands/player.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends. If you pay the fees and it comes back not authenticated then you are out hundreds of dollars. If you get lucky and it passes then it’s much easier to sell an authenticated autograph than one that is not authenticated. So before sending anything in try and see if those autographs are likely authentic or forgeries. You can weed out the likely fake ones first then only send the ones that seem authentic and see what Beckett or PSA says.

Personally I am not familiar with any of those autographs so I can’t help you with if they are likely authentic or forgeries. I would try and compare these to known in person examples and see how they compare. If they seem off then you saved yourself the money of sending them in for authentication.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2024 12:00PM

@vaioys501 said:
    Can an autograph grading service increase my selling price?
    Autograph grading for Jordan, QUEEN, Simon & Garfunkel costs several hundred dollars. Is it worth it?

Are you talking about authentication or grading? Authentication will increase marketability and maybe price. Grading of an autograph on top of authentication is a waste of money in my opinion.

• Options

Also, I am not sure all the things you've shown are real.

For example, the ending "y" on Brian May and Freddie Mercury on the Queen album look to me like they were signed by the same person.

Some services offer Quick Opinions online. You might consider starting with those for some of them.

• Options

@JBK said:

For example, the ending "y" on Brian May and Freddie Mercury on the Queen album look to me like they were signed by the same person.

Some services offer Quick Opinions online. You might consider starting with those for some of them.

Thank you so much for your detailed opinion. I will follow your advice and check online first. Is ACOA good? Or?

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vaioys501 said:

@JBK said:

Thank you so much for your detailed opinion. I will follow your advice and check online first. Is ACOA good? Or?

ACOA is respected but I feel like Beckett and PSA are better.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@vaioys501 said:

@JBK said:

ACOA is respected but I feel like Beckett and PSA are better.

wow!!! I didn't know Beckett had such an online service.
    thank you thank you!!!

• Options

A couple random thoughts...

Quick Opinions are not the same as formal authentications, but they can be useful in getting an idea how the formal submissions might go.

Also, if anyone wants to put an authentication sticker on your item, please think carefully before allowing that. Many collectors hate those stickers.

• Options

@JBK said:
    A couple random thoughts...

Quick Opinions are not the same as formal authentications, but they can be useful in getting an idea how the formal submissions might go.

Also, if anyone wants to put an authentication sticker on your item, please think carefully before allowing that. Many collectors hate those stickers.

I got it. Thank you!