Home U.S. Coin Forum

$5 Indian purchase

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this $5 Indian at the flea market today, I was hoping it had a shot as an MS.

Comments

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 7:37PM

Might be a low unc, like a 62. Tough to tell much from the images provided. I see a couple things I don't really like RE legitimacy (mark above A in dollar, for example) but it's so tough to tell with incuse indians unless you have them in hand, and I'm leaning towards this one being real.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be hoping it’s genuine for you. Looks like it but there are some very good counterfeits and you bought it at flemarket.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bit of wear on the top of the wing. High AU. I hope it’s genuine.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

There appear to be numerous hairlines from Liberty down in front of the bust, maybe that is on the 2X2 but it gives the coin a wiped look. There does seem to be a bit of color change on the wing and on the cheek, assuming it is genuine and does straight grade AU to MS62 is my thought.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jomjom Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to have wear on eagle's shoulder. AU55 maybe?

jom

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an AU55 or 58. As has already been pointed out, there appears to be wear on the cheek bone and eagle's shoulder. Hopefully, you didn't pay more than AU money. It's definitely a very nice looking coin no matter what the numerical grade is. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Not even close to MS IMO and you'll be lucky if it is genuine because of where you bought it. Let us know what PGCS grades it when you send it in.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see in your pics, your coin looks authentic but it's certainly worth getting slabbed. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it grades.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is AU58.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely worth having slabbed.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file