Home Q & A Forum
Options

Trade dollar error question

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I bought a coin roll from a reputable dealer. The roll had a 1876 trade dollar on the end obverse end up. After opening I found it was a 1876 S type ll/ll. But on the reverse there was a dot under the D in Trade. I put it under a microscope and the dot is original to the coin with the same wear as the rest of the coin. I can't find this error documented anywhere. I checked everything out to make sure the coin is not a fake; not magnetic, dealer said they xrf scan the end coins of rolls, coin weighs out, and all detailes on coin match up.

Any insight or if anyone has seen this error before on a trade dollar would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mjr6985 said:
    Hello everyone,

I have a question. I bought a coin roll from a reputable dealer. The roll had a 1876 trade dollar on the end obverse end up. After opening I found it was a 1876 S type ll/ll. But on the reverse there was a dot under the D in Trade. I put it under a microscope and the dot is original to the coin with the same wear as the rest of the coin. I can't find this error documented anywhere. I checked everything out to make sure the coin is not a fake; not magnetic, dealer said they xrf scan the end coins of rolls, coin weighs out, and all detailes on coin match up.

Just curious...was this an "unopened/unsearched" roll of silver dollars?

• Options

Yes it was labled as such and it appeared to be unsearched as the wrapping fell apart when I tried to open it making it impossible to rewrap.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭

Not really an error, it is a die chip. Probably started out as a small dot
    and increased in size with the continued striking of coins. There should
    be many others out there with the same chip.

• Options

Makes sense. Thank you much for the information.