Home Metal Detecting
Options

Assist please…

CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wednesday afternoon, I had the opportunity to hunt a long-time co-worker’s property which dates back to the mid-1800’s. She warned me beforehand that a family member had already hunted it @ 10-12 hrs ago, and had found a number of coins, although she couldn’t remember what they were. Needless to say, I didn’t find much, other than a few more modern coins, with the exception of one interesting find nearly within the adjacent wood line. I didn’t realize what it was until I got it home and gave it a bath and rub down under the water…

A two-center! My first and a huge surprise - a bucket-lister, per se. My question is whether there’s anything I can use to remove the baked-on crude that’s still adhered to it? I tried soaking it in acetone for @30 mins, then a couple hours, and then overnight. The pics reflect its current state. Maybe muriatic acid? Or is there something else that might remove that crusty stuff? Or should I toss it in the rock tumbler to let it go round n round for a few rounds?

Thanks, C’dude

Got Crust....y gold?

Comments

• Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited June 2, 2024 11:24AM

Try placing the coin in a bowl of baking soda mixed with hot water. Let it sit for up to 10 mins, then turn it over. You could also try fingernail polish remover (acetone again) the same way. Muriatic acid may be too strong. Good luck :)
    Jim

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭✭

Soak in either olive oil or mineral oil, might take weeks or months though. If you do anything else, you'll turn the coin an unnatural color and ruin it.