Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Any information on a 1869 United States Auction Note?

I have tried researching this note but could not find anything on it. Does anyone know what this note is?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an early form of advertising. The face gets your attention and the back spells out the nature of upcoming events. If original, it may have some value. If it’s a reproduction, most likely not.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

I agree with @Steve_in_Tampa as it looks like its advertising a public Auction to be held on FEB 3rd 1884. Interesting historical piece but not a numismatic item.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's a stock advertising note from 1869 or shortly after. These were sold in bulk to local printers who would imprint and sell them to local merchants.

This particular type was widely used and one can find many different merchant imprints from many different states. Value is largely determined by location and/or nature of business advertised. They represent an obscure area of numismatics but are quite collectible. Bob Vlack wrote the standard reference book on advertising notes.

This one is from Holland, Iowa, 1884 and the subject, a clothing auction, isn't particularly exciting or unusual. As such and in this condition, I'd value it at $25-$50. It's probably quite rare but, as has been said before, "the collector is probably even rarer."

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    InGodWeTrustCoinsInGodWeTrustCoins Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

Thank you guys very much!!!