Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tell me about your collecting pursuits

SimonWSimonW Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 24, 2024 10:22PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Specifically, tell me these three things:
-What are the three toughest coins in the series? (not including varieties, they gotta be actual design changes not mistakes.)
-The three most common ones?
-The three that are supposed to be easy, but are actually very difficult to find!

For example: Bolivia 8 Soles 1827-1863
1-
1848-R
1833-L
1859 8S or Po version

2-

3-
1828 tough especially in high grade
1853 kinda all the 52-56 are tougher
1848, all of them seem to be tough to find

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 11:20AM

As for 1 reales from Mexico 1732-1771:

I would say 1732-1771-1733

Then the 3 most common...there are more than 3 and most dates are common enough

And finally 1747 Philip-1754-1755 come to mind (there are others). Any mint states are extremely rare and that goes for all dates (for example there are no 1732 milled 1 reales in mint state and very few of any other dates if any).

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    edited May 24, 2024 8:09AM

As for 1 reales from Peru 1751-1772:

I would say or course the 1751 but otherwise 1766-1768-1772

Then the 3 most common 1753-1757-1761

And finally I do not believe there are any easy coins to find in this series even the ''common' ones don't show up that often. Finding example without holes is a real challenge. Over 40% are holed per Yonaka.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2024 8:08AM

As for the 1 reales from Guatemala 1754-1771:

Only the 1759 is considered ''common''

After that they are all very hard to find in any grades. Finding example without holes is a real challenge. Over 40% are holed per Yonaka.

• Options

As for 1 reales Bolivia 1767-1770

They are all common enough the tougher one is the 1770 but it is not that tough.

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:

They are all common enough the tougher one is the 1770 but it is not that tough.

Really? Why do you think that? Just curious. In my experience the 1770 is by far the easiest one to get, even in higher grade (which only means the others are very difficult, since this one’s isn’t “easy.”)

I’ve never been able to find a decent 1768 for sale anywhere.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:

I have but did not buy it....

• Options

Here it is one avail, do not know if it is decent:

• Options

@ELuis said:

@SimonW said:

I have but did not buy it....

That’s true, I did see that one. Overpriced and messed with, I didn’t like it, personally.

The other one isn’t problem free in my opinion. I want a nice, wholesome XF, if possible.

• Options

For Bolivia one can find if any, something like this:

• Options
    edited May 24, 2024 10:55AM

@SimonW said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

Really? Why do you think that? Just curious. In my experience the 1770 is by far the easiest one to get, even in higher grade (which only means the others are very difficult, since this one’s isn’t “easy.”)

Just my experience so far I have not been it long only a few months. Compared to you that is very little time.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2024 12:02PM

@PillarDollarCollector

This is the really perfect coin for the grade, to me. If I could find them all like this I’d consider it a success. The 1770 is, by the numbers in Yonaka and by my observations, the most common of the four dates 1767-1770

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 12:29PM

Santiago, 1 real Carlos III, specifically coins minted in the decade 1773 - 1779.

1. The 3 toughest coins
    • 1777 - I have NEVER seen one. If you have please (please) send me a picture
    • 1776 - very difficult. I have seen 2
    • 1775 - very difficult. I have seen 3, but two of them in very low grades or showing some damage. This example from my collection is truly exceptional in terms of condition, although only a VF or so. I had to pay DEARLY to get it.

1. The most common coins
    • 1778 (without a doubt)
    • 1773, although it is a misnomer to call it common. It is much tougher than 1778, but does show up about once a year or two.
    1. Coins which should be tough, but does come along every now and then
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2024 1:20PM

@Eddi said:

• 1773, although it is a misnomer to call it common. It is much tougher than 1778, but does show up about once a year or

I have seen a few in the past, but to be honest I do not remember the years in specific, but I was not focused on these types of coins nor about Santiago, this started recently maybe 2 or 3 years ago... Here is the 1773

Not my coin, posted as a sample.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 6:36PM

Luis, for a moment I thought that was yours, it is a nice example for a 1773 which I don;t believe I have seen. These often come quite worn and or damaged. The average grade is at most , fine. My own example is a really worn VG.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect several series from different countries- some sets are pursued seriously with others being more of a side interest in an effort to keep up an active search. One such set that I will share here is the Mexico Peso 191-1945.

I like the design, the history and most are affordable. But don't let that fool you in that finding early date GEMS in 65 and higher is a challenge. It is a test of grading skills and identifying what is worth submitting and what is not. I have submitted raw coins only that have only been incorporated into my registry set. My last edition was a 1940 that graded 66. I have yet to see a raw 1932 that has been submission worthy even though one would think it should be easily found. And I suppose it is- but it has been elusive for me.

At least I can answer your questions without creating too much controversy- I will provide my thoughts but they are predicated based on condition rarity - grades 65 and higher-

toughest- 1918, 1919 and a coin flip for the 3rd spot between 1920, 21, 25 and 27

easiest- 1943,44 and 45

underrated- 1922 and coin flips for 23, 24 and perhaps 1934

This has been a fun project and I am missing 4- In order to complete the set, I suspect I will likely have to compromise on the 1918 and 19 and buy those graded even though I would rather complete the set through self submissions as that remains the objective.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I've collected sets of darkside coins in the past however these days, inspired by the Eliasberg gold collection, I am collecting random coins which I like the look of.

Researching these coins is very interesting and gives me much more knowledge than if I just collected a rigid set.

Btw I'm enjoying the Bolivian minors :smile:

Peace

• Options

@Coinlover101 that’s a great way to do it, nowadays that’s what I do with US coins. A box of 20 that I just like the look of.

@ELuis @Eddi dang, that’s a cool series!

@coinkat awesome response! Cool coins too, I never really looked at the design closely. I like ‘em!

• Options
    edited May 25, 2024 2:39PM

@coinkat said:
    I collect several series from different countries- some sets are pursued seriously with others being more of a side interest in an effort to keep up an active search. One such set that I will share here is the Mexico Peso 191-1945.

I like the design, the history and most are affordable. But don't let that fool you in that finding early date GEMS in 65 and higher is a challenge. It is a test of grading skills and identifying what is worth submitting and what is not. I have submitted raw coins only that have only been incorporated into my registry set. My last edition was a 1940 that graded 66. I have yet to see a raw 1932 that has been submission worthy even though one would think it should be easily found. And I suppose it is- but it has been elusive for me.

At least I can answer your questions without creating too much controversy- I will provide my thoughts but they are predicated based on condition rarity - grades 65 and higher-

toughest- 1918, 1919 and a coin flip for the 3rd spot between 1920, 21, 25 and 27

easiest- 1943,44 and 45

underrated- 1922 and coin flips for 23, 24 and perhaps 1934

This has been a fun project and I am missing 4- In order to complete the set, I suspect I will likely have to compromise on the 1918 and 19 and buy those graded even though I would rather complete the set through self submissions as that remains the objective.

Have seen two complete sets of Raw 0720's, that's how I recall they were named aka "Peso Resplandor", on albums on shows that I have been to.

That will be a cool set, good luck!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the positive remarks- I am in need of 4- and I consider myself fortunate as to how it has all unfolded thus far. The same can not be written for other collecting endeavors that remain a work in progress. And at some point those might be shared but there is something awkward about sharing sets whereby the coins themselves are larger than the sets collectively.

Just two simple thoughts...

We simply have to do the best we can with what exists... And sometimes it is just not as pretty as we would like.

i would rather be lucky than right

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2024 5:13PM

I guess, I will try to buy as many coins as I can or end up available of Portrait Santiago 1/2R - 1R - 2R
    Also like the 1/2R - 1R - 2R - 4R of the Pillar type, can be from Mo - LM - PTS
    Will see, I normally just buy a coin I like. 

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am collecting one of each monarch of the British Isles, going back to the earliest Anglo-Saxon times.
    The toughest ones are some of the petty kings of the pre-English states.

Some are noncollectible, due to no examples known outside of museums. I guess these are the toughest-
    -Heaberht of Kent, only one coin known and in museum
    -Beorhtric of Wessex, three coins known, all in museums
    -Guthfrith, Harthacnut, and Halfdan of Northumbria/York, minor Viking rulers in York, one coin of each known I believe, in museums
    -Hywell of Wales, only one coin known and in museum

Of the collectible coins, I would say the three toughest are
    -Eadbald of Kent
    -Aethelberht II of East Anglia (Aethelberht I of East Anglia is also super tough)
    -Regnald II Guthfrithsson of Northumbria/York

I don't have examples of those. However, coins of each of those rulers have sold in the last 10 years.

The three most common must be the most recent monarchs, not including the current-
    -Elizabeth II
    -George VI
    -George V
    Also pretty easy are George III and Victoria, as they were around forever

Three that shouldn't be that hard, but are really tough to find decent, are
    -Ecgberht of Wessex
    -Berhtwulf of Mercia
    -William II of England