Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first post-Phil Trueviews . . New Photos added 6/2 . . 6/10 - PCGS Response, 7/14 Update

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 13, 2024 7:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I had hopes that these would be better than some recent photos discussed here, but overall, they are disappointing. The cent photos are ok but the luster on the 55DD does not show well. The buffalo nickels appear over-exposed, and the 37-D 3 leg is too yellow. The gold coins look ok but the color looks “off”. The obverse of the PL Morgan does indeed have a lot of yellow but this is “too yellow”. Overall it appears they still have exposure and white balance issues.

Comments

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with "glam" photos is every photographer has a different definition of "glam".

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great group of coins you have! They still seem to show well in your post.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

The human eye is superior to any technological device. If I want a slabbed coin, and I have 547 of them, I will buy them and take the risk of relying on an image, usually taken by the seller. I have return two or three coins in the last five years, and never once sent a coin in for grading. For what I collect, and the reasons I collect, sending coins in for grading is neither justifiable nor productive. Besides, there are already more than enough complaint threads about the process.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins.

Many happy BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the coins, but they ain't Phil's.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother is a professional photographer and years ago he hired a "new" photographer for his business. The guys pics were always unusable and yet the guy had a wonderful resume. Turns out he was color blind slightly ,and it didn't work out. His photos were just like these, white balance off and color off. Can't comment on luster as he didn't do coins.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

TV's were the envy of the industry. Drove a lot of business. These new one's look positively primitive.....It's a shame.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought - maybe Phil can go consult with PCGS on an hourly basis (at a generous rate/hr.) to direct their current photog staff on what they need to do to fix this. Some tips on how to consistently tweak the exposure and white balance from coin to coin could do it. GC is a client of, not a competitor to, PCGS so I would think they could make this happen (if the parties involved were willing).

@Connecticoin said:
    Just a thought - maybe Phil can go consult with PCGS on an hourly basis (at a generous rate/hr.) to direct their current photog staff on what they need to do to fix this. Some tips on how to consistently tweak the exposure and white balance from coin to coin could do it. GC is a client of, not a competitor to, PCGS so I would think they could make this happen (if the parties involved were willing).

I’m thinking that GreatPhoto is a competitor to TrueView Photo. If you notice, even in the PCGS Market Report Magazine, the author always credits any TrueView image used in an article prefaced with “Courtesy of TrueView Photo.”

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Connecticoin said:

I think the issue is a bit deeper than that. From what I’ve seen, it appears that PCGS is trying to make this an automated process with as little human involvement as possible. That logic is at odds with what it takes to take quality coin photos, and if I had to guess I’d say there’s budget restraints implemented by the powers that be.

That (an automated process) seems to fit with getting through the severe backlog of coins for imaging they had a year or two ago. I recall imaging was the hold up in getting submissions back before the Pandemic. Imaging added several weeks to the turn around time, but I was pleasantly surprised by the TVs I got... fast forward to now... and I'm reluctantly on the fence for getting TVs with my summer submissions.

Thanks for sharing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • InlanderInlander Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I agree w/ DeplorableDan. I'm afraid that this is now what the TrueView product has become. I don't expect anything to change.

edited May 24, 2024 11:16AM

@FlyingAl said:
    If we buy a coin with a new TrueView, is there a way for us to request it be removed from the certification page so it won't hurt the resale price?

Does anyone know if PCGS will do that?

I'm sure if you say 'No TrueView images please' in the Comments section. they will honor your request.

edited to add: I just realized I did not answer your question. I would send them a PCGS Support Form. The last one I did got a reply in 90 minutes.

PCGS Support Form

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Connecticoin said:

I think the issue is a bit deeper than that. From what I’ve seen, it appears that PCGS is trying to make this an automated process with as little human involvement as possible. That logic is at odds with what it takes to take quality coin photos, and if I had to guess I’d say there’s budget restraints implemented by the powers that be.

Are the “whale” dealers and collectors going to be ok with this? Would @tradedollarnut want his (when he owned them) 1885 Trade Dollar or 1794 SP66 Dollar going to Trueview now? For the “express” and up tier alone I would think they would need quality photos to stay competitive. Maybe that is being done already, I have not looked through any recent “rarity” Trueviews.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coins are great, the photos are terrible, sorry that you paid for a substandard product.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins, but -no offense to the photgrapher- I think my iPhone could shoot better images.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 1:59PM

@BStrauss3 said:
    The problem with "glam" photos is every photographer has a different definition of "glam".

Well that does get to the maybe what the heart of the issue is. Are the photos supposed to be glam or are they supposed to be True so it looks realistic and once can see every detail (good or bad)? "True" in trueview indicates the former.

Of course I recognize that the older photos used to be better though.

@coinbuf said:
    Your coins are great, the photos are terrible, sorry that you paid for a substandard product.

I would argue that us customers need to start rejecting the substandard product. The problem I (and probably most collectors) would have is giving an objective, undisputable objection to the photos to customer service other than "the pictures suck" that can't be dismissed as a matter of personal preference. I think if we can do that, PCGS will re-take the photos for free.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

They never said they were "true" to life.

https://www.pcgs.com/trueview

It's marketing puffery - this chariot was only driven to the temple on feast days by a little old Roman lady.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Connecticoin said:

Are the “whale” dealers and collectors going to be ok with this? Would @tradedollarnut want his (when he owned them) 1885 Trade Dollar or 1794 SP66 Dollar going to Trueview now? For the “express” and up tier alone I would think they would need quality photos to stay competitive. Maybe that is being done already, I have not looked through any recent “rarity” Trueviews.

I don't know if I'd call myself a "whale" but I've submitted several 6 figure coins that resulted in awful truviews, and to answer your question, NO. I was not ok with it. I crossed my slug over from NGC which carries a 1% fee, that single coin cost me around $1300 to cross over and I got a worthless true view. Like you say, you'd think they could at least TRY for coins submitted under Express, Walkthrough, or Rarities, at shows nonetheless.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

And PCGS will keep doing it unless and until it starts costing them with do-overs.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem: TrueViews are unacceptable.
    Solution: Hire Thomas Bush Numismatic Photography.

peacockcoins

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two words: Not good.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are currently being imaged sigh...

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭

is it possible to adjust the white balance afterwards so they look a little better or is it lipstick on a pig?

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    is it possible to adjust the white balance afterwards so they look a little better or is it lipstick on a pig?

These are, IMO, too far gone. They're washed out and there's really no way to fix that except retaking the image.

Coin Photographer.

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Excellent subject matter for the photographer to work with but the white balance looks off. FWIW... the gold looks nice. I wonder if they're using an Auto setting for exposure. Copper is difficult to image regardless and getting mint luster to show up is definitely a task...

Beautiful 3-legger BTW...

I'd bet tossing a quick contrast correction in photoshop would fix a lot of the problems. I used to have the worst luck trying to photograph copper but when I updated my lighting setup, it got a LOT easier. I agree, mint luster can be tough to image as well.

Lighting and camera settings make all the difference in the world! Those photos are just awful. TruView used to be a standard bearer of coin photography. It's sad how bad they've gotten.

@ProofCollection said:
    I would argue that us customers need to start rejecting the substandard product. The problem I (and probably most collectors) would have is giving an objective, undisputable objection to the photos to customer service other than "the pictures suck" that can't be dismissed as a matter of personal preference. I think if we can do that, PCGS will re-take the photos for free.

I would bet that PCGS will not re-take photos for free.

@braddick said:
    Problem: TrueViews are unacceptable.
    Solution: Hire Thomas Bush Numismatic Photography.

That is the easy part, but as Tom himself wrote the PCGS photos are tied to that coin like an anchor. The only way to lose those substandard TV photos is to have the coins put into new holders with new cert numbers.

My Lincoln Registry

edited May 24, 2024 5:55PM

@coinbuf said:

@ProofCollection said:

Even if you can identify object technical shortcomings with the photos? And it might not even take that if you can send your TV to them along side a comparable coin TV that looks excellent so that it's obvious. It really helps if you can "speak photographer" but unfortunately I cannot.

I know PCGS CS can be tight sometimes but I've also had several experiences with them trying hard to make me happy. I think you can get it done with the right approach, but that will only happen if someone tries.

When I did complain about some of my TVs a few months ago, they actually swapped out the photos with a second set they had taken which were much better. So there's that possibility too.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@ProofCollection said:

@coinbuf said:

@ProofCollection said:

Even if you can identify object technical shortcomings with the photos? And it might not even take that if you can send your TV to them along side a comparable coin TV that looks excellent so that it's obvious. It really helps if you can "speak photographer" but unfortunately I cannot.

I know PCGS CS can be tight sometimes but I've also had several experiences with them trying hard to make me happy. I think you can get it done with the right approach, but that will only happen if someone tries.

When I did complain about some of my TVs a few months ago, they actually swapped out the photos with a second set they had taken which were much better. So there's that possibility too.

You are speaking about small scale, since Phil left how many TV's do you think PCGS photo department has imaged, several thousand? Maybe ten thousand? I have no idea but I'm sure it is a large number. And certainly not everyone that has paid for and gotten a TV is unhappy with them. But lets say that 1,000 TV's are asked to be reimaged due to poor quality, that is a significant amount of resources and payroll PCGS would be committing to, and while I'm no expert companies that are managed by Wall Street firms have in my experience been very sensitive to bottom line impacts.

But lets say that PCGS does agree that 1,000 TV's need to be redone, do you also expect them to cover the two way shipping costs as well which only increases the bottom line impact. I don't even see them agreeing to the need to reimage the coins much less absorbing the shipping costs as well. So that cost, and the risk of loss during the shipping, is on the owner of the coins, and considering a least one member has stated he has sent several 6 figure coins in both the cost and the risk are important.

And as the owner of the coin what happens if you do have your coin reimaged and the new images are just as poor quality, then what. It's not like the TV's seem to be improving over time, if anything they seem to be getting worse. So now you have added expense, time, and frustration for both sides with similar results, not sure that is going to solve much.

One, two, ten photos maybe, but I just don't see it on the scale we are seeing here. I don't see any advantage to PCGS under Wall Street management to open that can of worms, better to not address the issue and keep the monies rolling in. That seems to be the way of things today, if you ignore or refute the problem then it doesn't exist or it will just go away, like the US debt issues. ;)

My Lincoln Registry

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS should send all of their photographers to do the ANA photography course, they clearly don't even have the basics (grey card, white balance, don't overexpose) down.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@coinbuf said:

@ProofCollection said:

@coinbuf said:

@ProofCollection said:

You are speaking about small scale, since Phil left how many TV's do you think PCGS photo department has imaged, several thousand? Maybe ten thousand? I have no idea but I'm sure it is a large number. And certainly not everyone that has paid for and gotten a TV is unhappy with them. But lets say that 1,000 TV's are asked to be reimaged due to poor quality, that is a significant amount of resources and payroll PCGS would be committing to, and while I'm no expert companies that are managed by Wall Street firms have in my experience been very sensitive to bottom line impacts.

But lets say that PCGS does agree that 1,000 TV's need to be redone, do you also expect them to cover the two way shipping costs as well which only increases the bottom line impact. I don't even see them agreeing to the need to reimage the coins much less absorbing the shipping costs as well. So that cost, and the risk of loss during the shipping, is on the owner of the coins, and considering a least one member has stated he has sent several 6 figure coins in both the cost and the risk are important.

And as the owner of the coin what happens if you do have your coin reimaged and the new images are just as poor quality, then what. It's not like the TV's seem to be improving over time, if anything they seem to be getting worse. So now you have added expense, time, and frustration for both sides with similar results, not sure that is going to solve much.

One, two, ten photos maybe, but I just don't see it on the scale we are seeing here. I don't see any advantage to PCGS under Wall Street management to open that can of worms, better to not address the issue and keep the monies rolling in. That seems to be the way of things today, if you ignore or refute the problem then it doesn't exist or it will just go away, like the US debt issues. ;)

I was not envisioning redoing 1000's of pictures. My vision is that if they got 5-10 complaints per month (probably on average 10 coins per complaint) and redid those photos it would or should register in their metrics and they would do something about it. Otherwise if we say and do nothing management assumes their customers are all happy. Again, I think there's details in what I said that are being glossed over. If you can provide OBJECTIVE criticism about real identifiable _defects _in the pictures, I think PCGS will make it right. If you just tell them your photos suck and you don't like them, then I wouldn't expect anything.

And therein lies the problem. Other than "the photos aren't as good as we know they can be," what are the definable characteristics of OP's photos that we can complain about that any experienced photographer would immediately identify as a defect? focus? exposure? Lighting? Balance? f-stop? I only barely know these terms and I don't know how to apply or judge them correctly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file