Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Memory Lane Case Solved…

Thief or thieves have been arrested and the $2 million dollar card heist has been solved with all cards recovered.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

any more details?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highest bidders on those cards can now complete his or her purchase if so desired in the news release.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I’ll be darned.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 1:15PM

It was at Holiday Inn Express the whole time.. Never saw that coming.

Glad they got them back.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭

I am so glad to hear that this is resolved. I guess keeping the auction going was the right thing to do after all.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    It was Holiday Inn Express the whole time.. Never saw that coming

Where do you see that mentioned? Everything I've read still says Best Western Plus.

Or is that just the sound of a joke whoooshing over my head?

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 4:03PM

2 Cards are still missing I'm sure Memory Lane will still auction them again regardless.

The alleged thief attempted to sell some of the cards to a local shop on the Monday after the theft occurred.
    Alleged thief maybe, a total moron definitely.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 6:47PM

I have bad jokes. Is all not facts. I meant the culprit as a joke. I have nothing to add to this story. Carry on

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

So no more news will be forthcoming? Such as to the why,who,how etc.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

The only excuse I have for not carrying cards on the plane is that TSA is known to open sealed products to swipe test because they suck. You also don't want to check that stuff the way it's treated. All you need is 2 Milly worth of slabs ended up on the conveyor belt floor and shoveled back in. They also randomly open bags. If you're not going to ship them, gotta be a carry-on at worst or take a bonded load via truck.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad that scooby and the gang was finally able to crack the case.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    I have bad jokes. Is all not facts. I meant the culprit as a joke. I have nothing to add to this story. Carry on

I get it. Had the thief stayed at a Holiday Inn Express things would have likely gone very different. As you suggest. I appreciate the depth of this joke. :)

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I am glad that scooby and the gang was finally able to crack the case.

Well played, my friend. Comedy gold with a double entendre. :)

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Highest bidders on those cards can now complete his or her purchase if so desired in the news release.

I may hold that check for a few days until I’m sure the cards will be delivered. Aren’t they evidence at this point? I assume that the value of cards will have relevance to the charges?

Are the high bidders obligated to pay since ML didn’t have the cards when the auction ended? If I was a consignor, I may want to have the cards re-auctioned since the publicity for the cards is sky high right now.

Mike
  • Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Recovered Stolen Cars are returned to owners quickly so why not Cards? How is it done in OH?

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

The final sale price for each of these cards went for less than they should have given that their whereabouts were still in question. Many potential buyers did not bid specifically because of this issue. It's shocking that these auctions have been allowed to be processed and that the inept Memory Lane will profit from the commission from these sales.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    The final sale price for each of these cards went for less than they should have given that their whereabouts were still in question. Many potential buyers did not bid specifically because of this issue. It's shocking that these auctions have been allowed to be processed and that the inept Memory Lane will profit from the commission from these sales.

Was there news before the listings ended? I thought nothing broke till after they were over. Plus there was never a list of which cards were missing, was there?

• Options
    edited May 25, 2024 1:50PM

News broke after the ML auction closed…and no release of which cards were stolen. I read that two cards have not been recovered : 1941 Playball Ted Williams PSA-8 and a Christy Mathewson .

mint_only_pls
  • Options

That makes much more sense. I had read(or misread) that the auction was going on even while the cards were missing which made no sense at all.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2024 7:17PM

Well you did read that, but you read that after the auctions were already over. The auction did go on while the cards were missing, thus the conundrum with regards to ethics and such....

• Options

What did the two missing cards "sell" for in the auction?

• Options

$62.5 for the Walter Johnson…and $27.5 for the Ted Williams.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭✭

Great chain of custody.......surprised it doesn't happen more often.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    2 Cards are still missing I'm sure Memory Lane will still auction them again regardless.

The alleged thief attempted to sell some of the cards to a local shop on the Monday after the theft occurred.
    Alleged thief maybe, a total moron definitely.

So typical, that’s what always happens. The dumbest thing you could do. lol

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Weird though because when I saw the mug shot I was getting physicist vibes.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder who the guy is in relationship to the hotel? Maybe the cards never actually made it to the hotel? We don't really know anything. Couldn't have been a very thought out plan to go to local card shops to try and sell extremely unique vintage cards. It's possible they don't get back the missing 2 cards. He probably has no incentive to reveal what happened to the cards? The enforcement of laws right now are so lenient that it's crazy. It's possible the guy doesn't even serve major jail time.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2024 12:02PM

Not going to be an easy case unless it can be proven alleged thief knew what what was in the sealed box. How perp was caught proves that is likley not the situation.

Seems to me any competent defense attorney will get this plea-ed out to a misdemeanor. Now if it had been shipped via USPS then regardless of value you'd be talking felony.

If any attorneys reading this I'd very much like to have your educated opinions.

• Options

He was the front-desk attendant for that Hotel. This particular criminal mastermind also quit the day after he stole the package. He's (Jacob Paxton) definitely special.

This article includes some of the detail.

https://www.otia.com/news/major-theft-of-vintage-baseball-cards-thwarted-suspect-arrested/

The Strongsville PD has an interface to look up police reports, but I could not find this one.

I think this is going to require more than 'any competent defense attorney', but he's probably going to be stuck with a public defender.

Sorry ladies. Jacob is off the market for a bit.

See what I meant about 'physicist'.... He's figuring things out.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2024 1:42PM

Most crimes are inside jobs.

He was the front-desk attendant for that Hotel. This particular criminal mastermind also quit the day after he stole the package.

agreed a true mastermind , right up there with the genius' at Memory Lane :D

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this was not his 1st crime at that hotel. Probably used to go into guests rooms when they were away. I wouldn't want him at the front desk if I was the hotel. He doesn't look like grooming and hygiene is a huge priority.

• Options

I'm going to cast Jonah Hill for the role of Jacob Paxton.

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

He reminds me of any NHL goaltender post Game 7.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.