Home U.S. Coin Forum

hi can any tell me what as happend to this 1986 one cent coin thanks

Bigbob63Bigbob63 Posts: 38
edited May 23, 2024 12:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 12:03PM

Im not sure exactly what you are referencing with regards to "what happened" however if you are talking about the "greenish" color, it is post strike damage from improper storage/environmental issues. If you are talking about the surfaces having marks, well, generally speaking marks on a coin are not a good thing! With coins, it is imperative to do research on what is to be looked for, versus what is not good. And with that said, Youtube and Facebook/social media is WRONG 99%, it's just for views, such as, "do you have a million dollar cent in your pocket??" Either way, stick with it, and you will quickly realize what to look for.

A couple quick ideas for you, I know you are getting a mix of responses. This is because these types of posts are very common here with a lot of them being completely fake/annoying/etc. Unfortunately, it is a situation where "one ruins it for everyone". But, this group contains many of the finest numismatists in the world, all here commenting on coins for free. We are less "forgiving" because mostly we are here because we want to share our knowledge, research, help, etc. Keep trying, but show us that you also are trying to learn, and you will be just fine. Coin collecting is such a rewarding hobby, but it requires time and effort. Keep with it and read a lot of the posts going on daily. While it may seem like a foreign language in the beginning, you will pick up things each time, and will continue your education and enjoyment of this wonderful hobby!! Good luck!

Edited to add: I understand you posted in another thread about being from UK or not from USA. However, if from UK, I assume you are fluent in English. I would suggest double checking your typing, as major spelling errors are often a reason for the group to feel we are being "trolled".

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • thanks for helping i got lot learn on here thanks but this coin looks like the moon it look better then images

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 1:04PM

@Bigbob63 said:
    thanks for helping i got lot learn on here thanks but this coin looks like the moon it look better then images

So, let me (and us) know what you mean by the coin "looks like the moon". Do you mean the surface of the moon? Either way, I must impress on you (without sounding like the forum police) you must try to explain what you see. The thing is, when the people here ask "what do you see", it most likely means there is nothing there haha, simply because if the experts can't see it right away, there is nothing there of added value or premium.

Try to articulate what you are seeing in your images (which are good). If not, we have no idea, but if there was something special, I would say it will be found by 30 people in the first 60 seconds. While it's nice to have people just post coins randomly for help if they are sincere, multiple posts will result in hoping that you follow these guidelines.

1. Good pic of FULL front and back of the coin (priority #1)
    2. A clear and concise description of what you are seeing. (surface like the moon is a VERY bad thing for a coin, so we dont know what you mean with that language)
    3. Only if necessary a closer image (but NOT for seeing a weird damage or 100 pics using a low cost microscope camera, which are useless for both coin study and for the forum.
    4. Respectfully try to respond with the answers from experts you are receiving.

Follow those, and you are 100% good! Hope that helps

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigbob63 said:
    thanks for helping i got lot learn on here thanks but this coin looks like the moon it look better then images

Every 1983 or later cent has a zinc core. The zinc corrodes and bubbles through the copper plating. It is a circulated, worn coin.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am assuming you're referring to the odd lumps and bumps across the surface.

Since 1982, America has made its one cent coins from copper-plated zinc. Zinc is a terrible metal to make coins from, because it corrodes quite easily. Specifically, if the copper plating gets a tiny pinhole in it, the zinc underneath will corrode. When zinc corrodes it expands; this expansion then pushes up the surface of the copper plating, creating what looks like a lump there.

The process is essentially the same as a rust bubble forming underneath the paint on a car.

As the corrosion progresses, the bubble can "burst" - this leaves behind a crater or pit full of corroded zinc.

There are burst and un-burst corrosion blisters all over the surface of this coin.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zinc rot is the term used.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

@NewEnglandRarities said:
    Edited to add: I understand you posted in another thread about being from UK or not from USA. However, if from UK, I assume you are fluent in English. I would suggest double checking your typing, as major spelling errors are often a reason for the group to feel we are being "trolled".

Citizens from the Commonwealth and Europe reside in the UK. You might assume functional language skills but not fluency, particularly reading technical language with jargon.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    Welcome to the forum.

Citizens from the Commonwealth and Europe reside in the UK. You might assume functional language skills but not fluency, particularly reading technical language with jargon.

Also immigrants from North Africa and the Middle East. Although it is odd that he said he was from the UK rather than saying he was a non-native English speaker.

• Thanks for the post . Hi in this forum yous are the experts on us coins not me .I try my best to answer this post as i am just learning about us coins on here . I do appreciate all the help from experts on this site . Sorry i do tend to rush thing at times sorry thanks for your help

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Fraz said:
    Welcome to the forum.

Although it is odd that he said he was from the UK rather than saying he was a non-native English speaker.

• All am asking for help with us coins . your the experts on us coins not me. i bet i no more about .U.K. coins you will ever no thats my point .You no more on us coins then me thanks for your help

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file