Home Sports Talk

The story of how the Curse of the Bambino was broken by 4 guys from Massachusetts

perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2024 12:57PM in Sports Talk

The day was June 26 2004

Me and 3 of my buddies all had the same couple days off and we decided we would do a hike up Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

After we made it up the Mountain we decided to take our break and started talking about Aaron Boones heart breaking HR against the Sox in the playoffs the year before, we went on about how gut wrenching 1986 was and how absurd it was that we couldn't get a world series. after a few moments my friend Jay "Choppa" Copp jumped up and said we were going to break the curse. He ripped out a blue marker from his bag and went to work on his Sox hat. Immediately after he was done he said we all had to put our fists together and say "Sox will win the 2004 World Series" on the way down he found a spot and buried the hat.

We literally couldn't have imagined that 4 months later the curse was broken and the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series.

We broke the curse!!!!

I haven't talked to these guys in years and today I randomly got this group text with the guys on that mountain that day.

The proof is in the pudding

The next year my buddy and another guy went up.and recovered the hat, which in my mind was just as miraculous as the curse being broken. He marked where he buried the hat and dug it up

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is an epic story

thanks for sharing!

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey ya Perkdog....
    Too Cool....
    B)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

So are you guys going to do the reunion? Take pics if you do.
    Cool story! 😄🍺

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

That hat should be displayed prominently in the Red Sox Hall of Fame.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys should have received a World Series winning share.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perk

As you know, I am very familiar with Mt Washington. I'm curious to know how you approached the climb. I guess you could have just walked up the auto road, or kinda follow the tracks up the cog, but doubt you went via either. Had to be kinda rough getting past the chunks of granite. Not a hike I could have accomplished...even though it was almost July, looks like it was pretty cold.

well done!!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Perk

As you know, I am very familiar with Mt Washington. I'm curious to know how you approached the climb. I guess you could have just walked up the auto road, or kinda follow the tracks up the cog, but doubt you went via either. Had to be kinda rough getting past the chunks of granite. Not a hike I could have accomplished...even though it was almost July, looks like it was pretty cold.

well done!!

Hi Al, I've climbed it twice and both times we went up through the trails, at a few points the rocks were a fun part of it.

I went once in June as my story from above and the other time was in August of 2000 and we went up the trail that time as well.

Coming down seemed harder on the knees than going up the mountain but at the time I was in borderline elite shape being 30 and 34 years old

The Summer temps get pretty cold and there was a lot of sleet at the top,

People think Summer and warmth but that is not the case in top of mountains las you know lol

Perkdog & friends took a perilous journey, unafraid of dangerous wild animals that could be lurking, risked injury even their own lives, to plant a hat which brought a championship to their long suffering Boston Red Sox. 😉

That's called dedication. Being a great sports fan! 😊

@stevek said:
    Perkdog & friends took a perilous journey, unafraid of dangerous wild animals that could be lurking, risked injury even their own lives, to plant a hat which brought a championship to their long suffering Boston Red Sox. 😉

Haha and well worth it 👍👍

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew there was more to the 2004 red sox story of breaking the curse! now you need to go back to the top and plant a patriots hat so that Maye will become the next tom brady!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s funny last night on mlb network they had Matt Damon and Casey Affleck on and Damon claimed they broke the curse.😂
    I didn’t hear the story of what they did to break it but Matt would sure be fun to talk baseball with.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog After reading this story and as a lifelong New Englander, I have to give you full credit for the championship success that our local pro teams have had since the year 2000. Before that our football & baseball teams were horrible and the Leprechaun who used to pull Larry O'Brien trophies out his butt hadn't been seen in decades. Your mission ended that bad history and for that...

@stevek said:

Sounds like we should turn into a Tolkien movie and call it the Fellowship for the Ring then we could add a second and third movie turning it into a trilogy called The Lord of the Rings. (This is where I'd post a LOTR meme but its David Ortiz holding a sword while sitting on a throne instead of Tom Brady and there's three rings seen on one hand but I'm to lazy to create that meme.😎 )

@erikthredd said:
    @perkdog After reading this story and as a lifelong New Englander, I have to give you full credit for the championship success that our local pro teams have had since the year 2000. Before that our football & baseball teams were horrible and the Leprechaun who used to pull Larry O'Brien trophies out his butt hadn't been seen in decades. Your mission ended that bad history and for that...

@stevek said:

Sounds like we should turn into a Tolkien movie and call it the Fellowship for the Ring then we could add a second and third movie turning it into a trilogy called The Lord of the Rings. (This is where I'd post a LOTR meme but its David Ortiz holding a sword while sitting on a throne instead of Tom Brady and there's three rings seen on one hand but I'm to lazy to create that meme.😎 )

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

edited May 24, 2024 2:20PM

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Include a scantily clad glamorous woman in that movie, and I'd watch it. 😎

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

If you guys are ever lucky enough to land a movie deal on this story, all I want for my part in it is a new Sox hat inscribed by your gang and four seats to the opening night show for Steve & I, I'm sure that the two scantily clad glamorous women that star in your movie would gladly be our dates. 😎👍

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

If you guys are ever lucky enough to land a movie deal on this story, all I want for my part in it is a new Sox hat inscribed by your gang and four seats to the opening night show for Steve & I, I'm sure that the two scantily clad glamorous women that star in your movie would gladly be our dates. 😎👍

I'd be happy with the ugliest one of the two. 😆

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

If we contacted the Red Sox or ESPN about this with the pictures after the win I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if we landed an interview on a Sports show.

Cell phones and Internet were just starting to ramp up back then, the pictures were taken by a camera definitely not a cell phone

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

If we contacted the Red Sox or ESPN about this with the pictures after the win I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if we landed an interview on a Sports show.

Cell phones and Internet were just starting to ramp up back then, the pictures were taken by a camera definitely not a cell phone

A close friend of mine's son, who served in our military and is now in law enforcement. An event happened in which he called out a societal rat for doing something despicable, which might seem benign to a lot of people these days. I'm not going into any detail on that. Suffice to say the son shot around a few minutes of video from his cell phone, of the perpetrator in action. The perpetrator thought he was fooling everyone before the son called him out on it.

Anyway, the son who without question is a great patriot, decided to place the video on Youtube. His dad told me that his son made around 3k commission in click money from it, just off one video. The more interesting thing though is somehow the story got picked up by the national news, and he wound up getting interviewed on some of those national morning TV shows, including Fox & Friends, and some others. Pretty cool. 😊

I mention it because I could envision the same happening with your story if you followed the same path. Do a video on it, perhaps a reenactment of the event, and put the video on Youtube and make some money off it from viewer clicks. Then, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Boston media found out about the story, and invited you to appear on one of their morning TV shows. Then you'd get more Youtube clicks from those who watched the TV show.

Not "promising" anything because maybe you'd make very little money off it, and possibly not receive a media invite. But I think it would be a fun video to put together and have a narrator telling the story.

If you're Youtube illiterate like I am about filming a video, placing it on Youtube, etc, for many young people these days doing this is child's play. Someone in your family or a friend's family might enjoy doing it, and of course say offer them half of the generated revenue.

edited May 25, 2024 9:31AM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

A close friend of mine's son, who served in our military and is now in law enforcement. An event happened in which he called out a societal rat for doing something despicable, which might seem benign to a lot of people these days. I'm not going into any detail on that. Suffice to say the son shot around a few minutes of video from his cell phone, of the perpetrator in action. The perpetrator thought he was fooling everyone before the son called him out on it.

Anyway, the son who without question is a great patriot, decided to place the video on Youtube. His dad told me that his son made around 3k commission in click money from it, just off one video. The more interesting thing though is somehow the story got picked up by the national news, and he wound up getting interviewed on some of those national morning TV shows, including Fox & Friends, and some others. Pretty cool. 😊

I mention it because I could envision the same happening with your story if you followed the same path. Do a video on it, perhaps a reenactment of the event, and put the video on Youtube and make some money off it from viewer clicks. Then, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Boston media found out about the story, and invited you to appear on one of their morning TV shows. Then you'd get more Youtube clicks from those who watched the TV show.

Not "promising" anything because maybe you'd make very little money off it, and possibly not receive a media invite. But I think it would be a fun video to put together and have a narrator telling the story.

If you're Youtube illiterate like I am about filming a video, placing it on Youtube, etc, for many young people these days doing this is child's play. Someone in your family or a friend's family might enjoy doing it, and of course say offer them half of the generated revenue.

I will reach out to.my friend. It's not a bad idea and might be a fun thing to do for the 20.year anniversary!

Glad for your friends son 👍👍

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

I will reach out to.my friend. It's not a bad idea and might be a fun thing to do for the 20.year anniversary!

Steve's idea is a good one, even at the very least if it just turned into a free Sox game for for the four of you that would be a pretty cool way to celebrate that climb.

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

Steve's idea is a good one, even at the very least if it just turned into a free Sox game for for the four of you that would be a pretty cool way to celebrate that climb.

Oh my goodness, I hadn't looked at that video in around nine years or whatever when it first came out. It now has 10 million views! He must have made a small fortune off it.

He's now I think a detective on his town police force. He owns a very nice house both in a Philly suburb and down the shore, and has a very nice boat. I just figured he was frugal with his salary and invested it wisely, because I think he is only 29 years old. And my thought was the 3k didn't play into doing any of that. However that number has to be much, much higher.

I gotta start pondering something that I ever did interesting in my life which people would want to watch on Youtube? But I can't think of a single dam thing. Unless perhaps I did an in depth verbal analysis of all my over 28k posts on CU. That should draw them in, right? 🤔🤣

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

Oh my goodness, I hadn't looked at that video in around nine years or whatever when it first came out. It now has 10 million views! He must have made a small fortune off it.

He's now I think a detective on his town police force. He owns a very nice house both in a Philly suburb and down the shore, and has a very nice boat. I just figured he was frugal with his salary and invested it wisely, because I think he is only 29 years old. And my thought was the 3k didn't play into doing any of that. However that number has to be much, much higher.

I gotta start pondering something that I ever did interesting in my life which people would want to watch on Youtube? But I can't think of a single dam thing. Unless perhaps I did an in depth verbal analysis of all my over 28k posts on CU. That should draw them in, right? 🤔🤣

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

I think its this generation that all want to be Youtube/Social media stars and all of the fame & clout that comes with it. There's also percentage of content creators that look at it as a way to supplant their income by putting out videos on certain subjects. I remember my kid, one of his friends and his friend's wife tried starting a YT talk show that really wasn't much more than those three talking about their lives and after so many videos it pretty much died out.

I also watch YT content about certain video games and the re are plenty of creators that just make video after video about certain games and take every leak & rumor about new games of certain franchise as facts. Its pretty much the same for many other subjects such as sports and even trading cards and i'm sure there are plenty of coin content creators too.
    Just look at Sports Card Radio and the influence they have by mostly posting negative or controversial content. Alot of their videos are the same storyline just repeated numerous times and they're getting paid for it.

I read your comment above that sort of explains that video that you're talking about, can you send me the video you're talking about in a DM? Just to clear up what it is.

edited May 25, 2024 6:45PM

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

I think its this generation that all want to be Youtube/Social media stars and all of the fame & clout that comes with it. There's also percentage of content creators that look at it as a way to supplant their income by putting out videos on certain subjects. I remember my kid, one of his friends and his friend's wife tried starting a YT talk show that really wasn't much more than those three talking about their lives and after so many videos it pretty much died out.

I also watch YT content about certain video games and the re are plenty of creators that just make video after video about certain games and take every leak & rumor about new games of certain franchise as facts. Its pretty much the same for many other subjects such as sports and even trading cards and i'm sure there are plenty of coin content creators too.
    Just look at Sports Card Radio and the influence they have by mostly posting negative or controversial content. Alot of their videos are the same storyline just repeated numerous times and they're getting paid for it.

I read your comment above that sort of explains that video that you're talking about, can you send me the video you're talking about in a DM? Just to clear up what it is.

"can you send me the video you're talking about"

Hi Eric - Thank you for asking. If it was my video, I'd send it to ya in a second. But since I mentioned some "personal" info about my friend's son, I'm going to have to take a pass.

It's not about trusting you, because I fully trust you. However I'm not sure if my friend's son would like me doing that or not? My view with everything family or friend, if there's any doubt whatsoever regarding them liking something or not that I may do, then I don't do it.

Thanks again!

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

Hi Eric - Thank you for asking. If it was my video, I'd send it to ya in a second. But since I mentioned some "personal" info about my friend's son, I'm going to have to take a pass.

It's not about trusting you, because I fully trust you. However I'm not sure if my friend's son would like me doing that or not? My view with everything family or friend, if there's any doubt whatsoever regarding them liking something or not that I may do, then I don't do it.

Thanks again!

Gotcha. I just thought that with it having 10M views it had to be shared quite frequently, No biggie though, its all good.

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Haha thanks Bro 🙌

Thanks again!

Gotcha. I just thought that with it having 10M views it had to be shared quite frequently, No biggie though, its all good.

I just looked again. He's got over a dozen other videos with a similar topic, each with millions of views.

Dam, if I ever need money again, he's gonna be the first one I contact. 😂