Home U.S. Coin Forum

General question regarding restoration.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does any company restore coins and return them raw, unslabbed upon request. Thinking of having a couple of album coins restored and placed back in the album, so do not want to have to crack them out. Also, if so would it be less expensive without the grading/slabbing service. Curious. Thank you for your help.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that most people capable of proper restoration wouldn't want to do it if there wasn't any upside. For instance even If I was skilled with restoration, why would I risk touching your coins for $10 or $20? I wouldnt be making much, and if one of them turned out poorly the blame would be on me. I think it would make the most sense to either use PCGS/NGC so they have some skin in the game, or just use mild techniques such as hot water or solvents on your own.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling Doctor Bombay. Calling Doctor Bombay.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems the TPGs starting up restoration services has really taken the wind out of the sails of standalone coin restorers; my Google efforts have only turned up numerous forum discussions on the subject, and no actual sites to refer to - at least, none still in business.

For coin restoration, you've basically got three tiers, depending on the type of damage you're hoping to make go away.

1. The simple, easy stuff you can do yourself with some acetone or soapy water: PVC damage, physical dirt, glue, that sort of thing.
    2. Mid-tier stuff the TPG-operated services presumably do.
    3. Top-tier services that would be usually regarded as having "crossed the line" into overt coin doctoring: filled holes, solder removal, corrosion removal and smoothing, that sort of thing.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

I thought NCS used to offer such a service, but that was awhile back. What kind of restoration are you looking for?

And why not submit and crack out after the restoration is completed? I see you mentioned you don’t want to, I just wonder what your reservations are, as that seems to be the work-around if you want conservation from our host’s service.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was merely curious if PCGS or NGC or whatever trustworthy agency(not sure if ANACS or ICG even have restoration services) offered restoration only services. Did not intend to offend their practices. My thought was why grade and encapsulate a coin when all I wanted was to have a coin conserved. I wasn't aware their was a warranty for them to be concerned with and couldn't understand how that would even be possible. I have had NCS restore an 1890 Proof LSD some 5 years ago or so and turned out great, but then I wanted it graded/encapsulated for resale purposes. Just curious not an important issue. I spoke with PCGS today and found their conservation service was attached to grading and encapsulating service, so no. Probably will hear back from NGC with the same outcome so that will answer that.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited May 23, 2024 8:52PM

What about Skip? It appears he got banned again but I thought he did conservation at ICG. Even if you then have to pay for their grading, their rates seemed to be more affordable last time I checked. I don’t know how much they charge for conservation but I do recall seeing the service listed on the form that looked at.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Thanks DD. I used to have his email, but if not I can call ICG and find out.
    Jim

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the issue on the coin(s) that requires restoration? Maybe there is a DIY method the forum could suggest.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian said:
    I thought NCS used to offer such a service, but that was awhile back. What kind of restoration are you looking for?

NCS is the restoration service of NGC. For a while, they used separate branding and separate holders for details coins. Now you submit using the NCS form and after restoration, they pass the coins on to NGC to be holdered.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

@Connecticoin said:
    What is the issue on the coin(s) that requires restoration? Maybe there is a DIY method the forum could suggest.

I've learned I do not understand basic soak and rinse principals lol, if copper it clouds them and if silver it is worse. Tried too many times and have all the required solvents on the shelf, but decided I like the coins and would like some staining removed if possible. I appreciate all your replies. I have emailed Skip at ICG and have not heard back. @Insider3
    His post name is still valid.
    Jim

@jesbroken said:

@Connecticoin said:

I've learned I do not understand basic soak and rinse principals lol, if copper it clouds them and if silver it is worse. Tried too many times and have all the required solvents on the shelf, but decided I like the coins and would like some staining removed if possible. I appreciate all your replies. I have emailed Skip at ICG and have not heard back. @Insider3
    Jim

He's definitely banned here but his account is still active on CAC forum. I just sent him a pm there just in case, I too am curious if he's doing conservtion still.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2024 2:58PM

@oldabeintx said:
    Calling Doctor Bombay. Calling Doctor Bombay.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@jesbroken said:

@Connecticoin said:

Jim

He's definitely banned here but his account is still active on CAC forum. I just sent him a pm there just in case, I too am curious if he's doing conservtion still.

Too bad he was given the boot again, at one point he said he was raised by a family of wolves, so some rough edges.

He knows how to conserve, but would be emphatic on what you want to have done. He said the two top services have access to chemicals he doesn't. Could also try Anacs.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked with Skip the other day. He is still with ICG doing conservation and grading. He is working on some really nasty coins for me. They turned ugly in old PCI holders. Not much hope but maybe a few can be helped. Skip is still posting over on CT. I believe he is one of the best at conservation.

Larry

Skip got back to me yesterday. He said that he's still doing conservation, and he can be reached at ICG. He also said that sometimes he will do it at no cost if its simple, but udner most circumstances conservation cost $10 no matter what the value of the coin is. They use the same techniques that NCS uses. @jesbroken, he said he didn't recall seeing your email. If you want to pass it along to me I can send it to him, or just message him on the other forum.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited May 25, 2024 7:58AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    Skip got back to me yesterday. He said that he's still doing conservation, and he can be reached at ICG. He also said that sometimes he will do it at no cost if its simple, but udner most circumstances conservation cost $10 no matter what the value of the coin is. They use the same techniques that NCS uses. @jesbroken, he said he didn't recall seeing your email. If you want to pass it along to me I can send it to him, or just message him on the other forum.

I sent it on the ICG website to Skip, neither the site nor I kept a copy. So they do conservation per your contact which pretty much answered my question. Thank you.
    Jim

Edited to add:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file