Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1920 wheat cent , planchett/ mint error

I recently fornd a 1920 wheat cent in an old roll of wheat pennies. It weighs 1.6 grams, its diameter is 18.2 mm and its thickness is 0.7 mm. Can anyone tell me what this coin is and what it maybe worth.

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

As posted above, its acid/chemically treated

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It's an acid treated coin worth 1c.

Have you seen a coin that has been acid treated and lost half its weight and shrunk in both thickness and circumfrence but still retained all of the coins writtings legibly and maintained original patina?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Have you seen a coin that has been acid treated and lost half its weight and shrunk in both thickness and circumfrence but still retained all of the coins writtings legibly and maintained original patina?

Yes, we have.

When submerged in acid, all of the dimensions will be reduced.

What do you think is the alternative? Do you think the mint accidentally made smaller dies and smaller planchets and used them in a smaller press with a smaller collar? 🤔

• Options

There are other coins that have a similar weight and characteristics , and some are contributed to using the wrong planchets . I have looked and so far have not found a 1920 wheat penny like this coin. The acid expanation is an easy one but it fails to address several things such as the coin rim is not affected by the acid and neither the surface , since theres no acid errosion and pitting that goes with dipping it in acid..
    any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acid treated, a spender

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:
    There are other coins that have a similar weight and characteristics , and some are contributed to using the wrong planchets . I have looked and so far have not found a 1920 wheat penny like this coin. The acid expanation is an easy one but it fails to address several things such as the coin rim is not affected by the acid and neither the surface , since theres no acid errosion and pitting that goes with dipping it in acid..

As others have said (repeatedly), your coin is acid treated. If you have not found any other examples like this coin, then you have not looked hard enough: https://www.error-ref.com/acid-shrunk-coins/

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it about the same size and dimensions of a dime?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:

I'm 100% convinced now. You need to send this in to PCGS for authentication.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Yes. I make them all the time. The acid uniformly dissolves the surface so the details remain although they get grainy (like yours) as it goes along.

I'm a chemist. I play with chemicals. I've dissolved them completely away in under 2 minutes with concentrated nitric acid. A more dilute acid will take longer and create less graininess. The graininess results from the surface bubbling (Hydrogen gas).

• Options

@kgmd0000 said:

In your research, include all possible foreign planchets at the Mint in 1920 and see if they match up.

Or, make your own acid etched coin at home and convince yourself. Would you like me to make a 1920 for you? I'll let you pick your own weight for $50.

• Options

• Options

i found these examples of wheat penny that weigh 1.6 grams. Food for thought...

• Options

@kgmd0000 said:
    i found these examples of wheat penny that weigh 1.6 grams. Food for thought...!

More acid damaged coins. Why is that "food for thought"?

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:
    i found these examples of wheat penny that weigh 1.6 grams. Food for thought...

Persistence does not always pay off. :neutral::no_mouth:

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2024 9:46AM

When I finally get tired of the curmudgeons on this board, I'm going to acid etch bags of coins and squeeze about 5000 coins in my vise as a going away present to y'all...

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@kgmd0000 said:
    i found these examples of wheat penny that weigh 1.6 grams. Food for thought...!

Perhaps once he has a fully graded set, they will create a registry category? ;)

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    When I finally get tired of the curmudgeons on this board, I'm going to acid etch bags of coins and squeeze about 5000 coins in my vise as a going away present to y'all...

You, Sir, are just too kind! LOL!

Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgmd0000 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Yes, at almost every show I work for ANACS. So, even if they were real errors and not acid-treated, they would be so common as to not command any value anyway.

As for acid treatment, it is used treat buffalo nickels that have had their dates completely worn off, as it makes the date legible again.

Lastly, Fred Weinberg is the hobby's foremost expert on mint errors, and several others who responded here are highly regarded as well. If you think you know more than them, submit it to PCGS or us and see how it comes back.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 4:06PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@kgmd0000 said:

It sates my hunger to learn how many photos of acid-etched cents OP can post.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Will these be labeled from the Jmlanzaf horde or hoard?😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone was trying to make 1/2 cents.🤔

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 50's and 60's kids would acid dip cents like these in science class down to the size of dimes and use them in soda and candy machines.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Will these be labeled from the Jmlanzaf horde or hoard?😀

No. They will be seeded in coinstars and parking lots throughout the Northeast.

But now that you mention it, I should sign my work. Maybe 100 years from now I'll be collectible. Perhaps a hidden alpha...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file