Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How To Remove This (Whatever It Is) From A Coin

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little help please.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would soak it in GooGone and follow that up with letting it sit in a squirt of WD40.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be glue of some kind, with the brownish-transparent stuff being the actual glue and the white stuff being remnants of whatever surface the coin was glued on to.

Epoxy glue - "superglue" - comes off nicely in acetone.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure acetone is the way to go. Soak it for a while. Good luck.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone in a covered glass container since it evaporates quickly with frequent changes in the acetone. Or, you can just spend it since that cut on the obverse from a paper roll end crimper keeps it from being worth more than face value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet a few days of xylenes or maybe acetone and or maybe a bit of toothpick attention...but neither is going to take care of the ring of death on the obverse :neutral:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2024 7:15PM

If it's soft, like rubber cement or a sticker, you can peel this off using your thumbnail.
    As others have mentioned, advanced methods and costs are not needed since it already has damage.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a decent chance that's normal Elmer's glue. If so, acetone will NOT help. Elmer's dissolves in water, not acetone.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

machine damage on obverse - spend it (unless you feel it a cheerios)

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was probably super glued to the sidewalk.
    Looks like concrete residue.
    Acetone removes super glue.
    Or just save time and spend it.

• Options

No (zero) chemicals, if at all possible gents. Whatever it is, contact cement, glue, rubber cement, 2 part epoxy, super glue, spray on lacquer/enamel, constructive adhesive, liquid nail, etc.. Always try a hair dryer first. And don't touch that coin right away. Man, it gets HOT!!

@Kurisu was right about two things, a toothpick and the ring of death.

I could see it wasn't a Cheerios dollar before I removed the adhesive. I only wanted to remove the adhesive to check for a speared eagle.......................no speared eagle. :'(

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

you should put it out in a parking lot and see how long before it shows up here again

• Options
    edited May 22, 2024 2:55PM

@johnny010 said:
    you should put it out in a parking lot and see how long before it shows up here again

Sure, I'll do that.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    No (zero) chemicals, if at all possible gents. Whatever it is, contact cement, glue, rubber cement, 2 part epoxy, super glue, spray on lacquer/enamel, constructive adhesive, liquid nail, etc.. Always try a hair dryer first. And don't touch that coin right away. Man, it gets HOT!!

I personally would prefer applying chemicals to coins rather than heat. I know acetone won't harm the coin, but heat - especially if it becomes "too hot to touch" - is going to accelerate oxidation, especially for reactive alloys like manganese-brass. For a circulated, already-oxidized coin it's fine, but not if preserving lustre is a goal.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

@Sapyx said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I personally would prefer applying chemicals to coins rather than heat. I know acetone won't harm the coin, but heat - especially if it becomes "too hot to touch" - is going to accelerate oxidation, especially for reactive alloys like manganese-brass. For a circulated, already-oxidized coin it's fine, but not if preserving lustre is a goal.

Well, I'm not a chemist or metallurgist but your point is taken.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file