Home Sports Talk
Options

Trout and Harper

DarinDarin Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys this would be a good time for a comparison as I just noticed on bb ref. Harper has 6646 career plate appearances and Trout has 6647. 🤔
Compare away! Who will end up being the better player. I will probably have more to say this evening as I have to get back to work right now. Thought it was cool only 1 pa difference.

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭

Trouts had the better career so far and its not really close. Harper might end up having the longer career depending on Trouts back, but Trouts numbers blow everyones away and Trout has had to do it on bad teams. Harper is a great player, but no one in the league can match what Trout has done in that number of ABs

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2024 3:07PM

How many years did Trout have Ohtani batting after him?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harper has also had issues with missing quite a few games in his career.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I don’t see trout finishing his contract. The issue he has with his T5 isn’t insignificant. If anyone recalls what happened to Strasburg …. The issue Trout has to deal with can lead to TOS. I think Harper will overtake him eventually but he will never match Trout’s peak. That’s my best guess.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to say Trout based on the stats comparison.

They are around the same age.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    I don’t see trout finishing his contract. The issue he has with his T5 isn’t insignificant. If anyone recalls what happened to Strasburg …. The issue Trout has to deal with can lead to TOS. I think Harper will overtake him eventually but he will never match Trout’s peak. That’s my best guess.

Like you mentioned unfortunately Trouts career will probably end before it should. I would guess Harper ends up with more RBIs just from the teams they play on. He might even catch Trout on HRs depending on Trouts health but will take more ABs to do so. SB are kind of out of the question, Harper wasnt great at those even when younger with his catch rate and even with the shortened base paths this year Trout is 6/7 and Harper is 3/5. The Slug and things like that would need some sort of big fall off for Trout where they meet in the middle with how many ABs theyve had.

Hopefully it doesnt end up being another Stras or David Wright situation for Trout. Its a shame that Trouts prime was sort of wasted on such bad teams

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm.shocked that those numbers are far apart in some categories

Trout for sure

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harper has been made of glass too. He has only played 140+ games five times in his career. Same as Trout.