Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC 1873 Doubled Liberty - guess the grade - Considering a crossover to PCGS - Grade revealed

redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2024 1:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I have a great 1873 Doubled Liberty Indian Head Cent that is currently in an NGC holder.

I am considering a cross-over to PCGS, either with a crackout or a direct loss-over submission. I am curious to see what you think it is graded currently. Depending on the answers, I might risk cracking it out and submitting this raw.

This variety is usually seen plagued with strikethroughs in LIBERTY. There is an MS63RB that has been for sale for a long time cheap as you can't see the first 4 letters in Liberty. Another MS BN on coin facts shows this as well, to a lesser degree.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! MS63BN is my guess although it's on the edge of RB IMO.

Coin Photographer.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking MS64RB, but I'm unsure on cleaning based in the photos

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin gives me the feeling of very slight rub, but I'm sure it is graded as MS63BN (may be RB but should be BN imo) or thereabouts.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin, but depending on the holder it’s in now, I’d probably be hesitant to crack it and submit it to PCGS. From the images there is a risk it could wind up in a Details holder, imo.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be details, but for now I’ll go 64RB.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you want to cross it over to PCGS?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disregarding any detail not evidenced by the pics, 63BN. RB would not surprise me though.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Why do you want to cross it over to PCGS?

A few reasons....
    1st - registry
    2nd - eventual resale
    3rd - I have mostly PCGS coins and this doesn't fit in the dang box!

@redraider: nice find! I don’t see evidence of cleaning like some here do. I agree with submitting to PCGS for all your reasons given. For a BIG variety like this one, I would always want it in a PCGS holder. Good luck!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭

So it is in an old MS63BN holder. If the amount of original red was swapped and the obverse showed more then the reverse, It would. have graded Red/Brown.
    I think there is a lot of upside potential here as there are no carbon spots, no large dings, and the original luster is still there. This coin has not been cleaned.

I would be happy if it crossed to MS63, Very happy if it goes to 63+, and ecstatic if it goes to MS64. I believe it will stay brown, but you never know. I would rather have a brown coin with a good bit of red than a red/brown coin with not much red.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever the grade, that coin has a great look. Worth 64 money IMO.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what you gonna do?
    Ps: Love the coin as a MS64RB
    Maybe have Rck Snow take a peek at it and maybe submit it for you

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2024 8:01PM

I just did a quickie search after looking at yours. SO there are plenty DDO's out there, but not like yours due to zero strike thru's. Yours is practically one of a kind, sure I saw a couple bold DDO's but only a couple but not anywhere near your grade or color or eye appeal. You have a special die state that is for sure. I understand the desire to get it into pcgs but I would leave it be just the same

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    So what you gonna do?
    Ps: Love the coin as a MS64RB
    Maybe have Rck Snow take a peek at it and maybe submit it for you

Given the value and scarcity of the coin, I agree that a consultation with Rick would be prudent.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@redraider: I’m going to email you pics of my 64BN. Comparing the two, I believe you might have a good chance @64 here & with a shot @ RB. As you will see, mine is clearly a BN. Plus, I agree with alaura22 & Walkerguy21D that it would be a good idea to run it by Rick & even have him do the submission.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    @redraider: I’m going to email you pics of my 64BN. Comparing the two, I believe you might have a good chance @64 here & with a shot @ RB. As you will see, mine is clearly a BN. Plus, I agree with alaura22 & Walkerguy21D that it would be a good idea to run it by Rick & even have him do the submission.

I agree Rick's opinion on the coin would be beneficial in deciding if to submit raw or as a crossover, but why wouldn't the OP just submit it themselves based on what he says?

@ TrickleCharge: submissions are supposed to be “blind” but one can direct them to a contact @ PCGS they work with. I’m guessing Rick may have such a person.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• MartinMartin Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    @ TrickleCharge: submissions are supposed to be “blind” but one can direct them to a contact @ PCGS they work with. I’m guessing Rick may have such a person.

Really, is that true?

Martin

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:

Can of worms....................

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

Correctly graded in the NGC holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file